Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork question

Options
I've done a grand total of ONE Boston Butt on my egg, and it was a while ago, so I can't remember what I did.  My question is to foil or not?  I don't think I foiled my last one, and it turned out very well, but I can't remember.  I have a 3 lb bone in shoulder ready for Sunday, and I'd like some input to foil or not.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I prefer to not foil unless it won't be done in time. 2 hours a pound and then I always like it done a little early so then i wrap in foil and put into a cooler until time to eat.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    @brisket_fanatic Thanks.  That sounds familiar.  I'm putting some baby backs on at the same time, so the ribs AND the shoulder should take about 6-7 hours at 250.  I'll probably put them on and let it ride the whole time.
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    Most here do not foil.

Confession: I foiled my last one when it hit 185 to push it through to done. It turned out awesome and was my best one yet. Could also be due to using a Maverick and knowing the exact grid temp too :)

Don't be afraid to find what works and makes the best tasting food for you!
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

Wait, a 3lb?  The bone must weigh more than the meat!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    yeah, it's a tiny one.  I picked it up for the wife and I, but we're having company this weekend, so why not.  I'm curious to see how it comes out.