Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My biggest complaint about my Egg

Options
..... is always trying to decide what to fix! Seriously, that is the hardest part. If it wasn't for this place, I'd really be in trouble! I'm thinking my next adventure might be a stuffed meatloaf. Those cheesy potatoes and asparagus look great all wrapped up inside a bacon wrapped meatloaf. Here's to my next Egg Challenge! You folks struggle with cooking ideas for your Eggs?
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I have way more ideas than I have time to execute. Having friends over this weekend and family is hotly debating a pizza party vs. trying to match the excellence of chicken ballontines recently displayed.

I'll save the stuffed meatloaf till it the weather changes this fall.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No. I just at random come up with cooks. I try to stay off the beat and path and go with something that is a challenge and that I have not done. Although I do at times try the same cook several times in a row just to improve myself. YouTube has given me a lot of ideas and how to prep etc. The forum search engine although not perfect does pull up some useful info at times.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I just **** around on the forum.

We know =))
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    ..... is always trying to decide what to fix! Seriously, that is the hardest part. If it wasn't for this place, I'd really be in trouble! I'm thinking my next adventure might be a stuffed meatloaf. Those cheesy potatoes and asparagus look great all wrapped up inside a bacon wrapped meatloaf. Here's to my next Egg Challenge! You folks struggle with cooking ideas for your Eggs?

This may sound too structured for you, but what has worked for over 20 years for my wife and I and saved us much-o frustration has been that we plan our evening menus on Monday for the following week! That way we know who is preparing what, when something needs to be purchased or taken out of the freezer in advance etc.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    RRP said:

This may sound too structured for you, but what has worked for over 20 years for my wife and I and saved us much-o frustration has been that we plan our evening menus on Monday for the following week! That way we know who is preparing what, when something needs to be purchased or taken out of the freezer in advance etc.

We're too laid back and fly by the seat of our pants to do something like that ... maybe in my next life
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    My biggest complaint is not being able to afford all the cuts of meat I would love to cook.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I look over ads of all the places to see what they have.  Around here, that is on Wednesday.   I generally get an idea of what to make.  

I agree with @RRP, a good plan for the menu helps a lot.  My wife is a stickler for that.  That is a teacher for you.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Its not a mini max?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

I agree with @RRP, a good plan for the menu helps a lot.  My wife is a stickler for that.  That is a teacher for you.  
    LOL - yes, my wife taught school for 37 years and I being a bean counter by profession worked 35 years as a controller, treasurer, CFO so yes my life had structure so why wouldn't that show up in our home life as well? LOL! BTW I'm NOT knocking it at all!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Smokingmeat.com  has a lot of recipes!! Sends new ones every week.
  • lensegg
    lensegg Posts: 35
    Options
    If any of you are like me, you spend a lot of time looking at cooking web sites. I recently paid 4.95 for an app called Paprika which allows me to copy recipes easily from any site and arrange them for future use. It also has built in timers, grocery shopping lists, and more. There are some similar free apps out there but IMHO this is the best. I don't work for the company - just enjoy using the product.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    bill37 said:
    Smokingmeat.com  has a lot of recipes!! Sends new ones every week.

Have you bought the rub and sauce recipes to get rid of the ads from the newsletter?  Are they worth it?

I get why he does that, but the constant shilling is kind of annoying.  Half of me wants to buy it just so I don't have to read it, and the other half doesn't, just on principle.  I'm conflicted.
    NOLA
  • lensegg
    lensegg Posts: 35
    Options
    I did get the rub, mostly to get rid of the ads but I think the rub is excellent. I have used it on just about everything that I don't use Mickey's rub on.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL - yes, my wife taught school for 37 years and I being a bean counter by profession worked 35 years as a controller, treasurer, CFO so yes my life had structure so why wouldn't that show up in our home life as well? LOL! BTW I'm NOT knocking it at all!
    @RRP I didn't take it as a knock, but I understand completely!  Lol..Our scenario is similar, however I am not so much a planner, on paper, but rather a planner in my head.  

My wife being a teacher and me an engineer makes things interesting sometimes.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌ OBW I'm digging the "new?" Avatar. Tis what's to come my friend :-). Soon, very soon ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    My least favorite thing about the egg is i only HAVE ONE!!!!
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I guess we are in a rut if you want to call it that. Ribs, spatch, or any kind of chicken, butts, pizza, wings steaks burgers, meat sticks, bacon. . These are all things necessary to be done on the egg.

I cant seem to wrap my head around the concept of doing a stir fry or a casserole in a dutch oven, or chili, or anything that the egg would not invoke a lot of flavor into. I guess to say " hey I did such and such on my egg last night"

To each his own as I say.

I guess there is a factor of not heating up the house to do a cook in the hotter southern US, maybe that comes into play a bit. I digress.

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I guess there is a factor of not heating up the house to do a cook in the hotter southern US, maybe that comes into play a bit. I digress.

Especially when you live in ABQ its 90 degrees the humidity is hanging around 40% or higher and all you have to cool the house is a swamp cooler.

Works great but not when the humidity goes over 20%

thank god thats only a short time here

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM