Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak tip kabobs

ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
After reading the thread about all of the crazy cooks around here lately I decided to show off one of the simple but amazing cooks I do on a regular basis.

Sirloin strips that I cut into steak tips and kabob with vidalia onions and red peppers. Usually I put Montréal seasoning on the steak but today I went with dizzy pig cow lick for a change of pace. Hit the egg at 475 with a handful of Jack Daniels barrel chips tossed on the flames for good measure. It's an easy, quick, and delicious dinner for those days you don't feel like spending an hour deboning a chicken.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Very nice. I definitely don't do kabobs enough.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Sometime simple is best! Looks good.

Nice looking meal 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Very nice. I definitely don't do kabobs enough.

I was thinking the same thing.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    How long did they cook on there? They look mighty fine to me...
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    edited August 2014
    I have not done kabobs on the egg. Never even thought of it. Thanks for the post!
    NW IOWA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    How was the cook on the veggies and the meat? I try to do everything on one skewer and the meat is done well before the peppers and onions. Recently I've switched to doing separate skewers for each. Pineapple chunks are a definite must.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • @anzyegg‌ I didn't time it, but not long at all. I'm guessing about 3 min a side but I'm not sure. To tell when they were done I slid a hunk of steak off of the skewer so the hot metal didn't give me a false temp and hit it with my thermapen

@jcaspary‌ they were soft with a slight crunch to them, which is just how i like them for this dish. That's also why I use vidalia onions instead of yellow, so they're still nice and sweet while still slightly crunchy.

I've found that the key to avoid under done veg is cut the meat chunks bigger and the veg smaller. That being said if you're looking for well done veg you'd probably be better off using separate skewers like you suggested.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Nice... Love steak tips
  • @Phatchris‌ Me too. I didn't realize until recently but steak tips are a New England thing. I went to make em when I was living out in Oregon and no one had ever heard of them.

If I'm doing them the more traditional way I mix up a batch using the recipe and then add worcestershire, hot sauce, and a splash of soy sauce. Then bag em for 24 hours. I've made a lot of friends in the Gillette parking lot with these bad boys.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marinated-steak-tips-recipe.html
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Looks excellent brother Chilly. Fine job my friend. I'm not posting anymore of my cooks though! Yours looks outstanding! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @SGH‌ don't say that brother. If you stop posting pictures of your cooks who's going to show us all how to cook 35 lbs of beef.... Or how to do a whole rack of ribs on a mini?!?

You can't deprive us here in the forums of all that cooking knowledge my friend, that's what we come here for! :D
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I'm just messing with you Brother Chilly. But yours and Huskers stuff has been looking so good as of late that I am going to have to step it up some to keep pace with y'all!!! Y'all have really been been raising the bar as of late. Both of you have really knocked out some impressive cooks as of late. Keep up the great job my friends. And just for the record my beef clod was only 34 pounds! :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I had no fear @SGH‌. The day you stop posting amazing cook will be the day the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, and the day Cowboy is voted the sweetest tasting lump in the land.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    @ChillyWillis‌ kinda sounds like the "Newbridge" tips.... Will give it a shot some time :D
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    @ChillyWillis...You are turning out some killer cooks and the pics are awesome..This one is Fantastic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....