Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't decide how to cook the brats and hungarian sausage

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I found a Hungarian sausage house today in Safety Harbor (http://www.firstqualitysausage.com/) and picked up some of the German style brats and the Hungarian style sausage. I can't decide if I want to go low and slow with some smoke, or if I should go raised direct. Someone convince me which I should do please.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I don't know anything about Hungarian sausage - can't help you there. One thing I do know is that brats indirect over hickory at 250 degrees are amazing! They get just the right amount of snap from the casing and stay so juicy. If I were you, that's the route I would take.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy em.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I've done brats several different ways.  I like mine browned on the outside and juicy on the inside (not how they are cooked in Germany where they are essentially boiled).  You can achieve that in a direct cook if you pay close enough attention to them and rotate them regularly - but a lower temp indirect cook is the better way to go as @minniemoh said.  I usually go about 275 - 300 but there is nothing magical about that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    I agree. hickory smoke 225-250 are amazing. I have done them this way, then through them on a hot grill to char the casings slightly.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • yzzi
    Options
    I believe there'a consensus. So far I am going to go @canman, and slow with hickory like all suggested, and then char the casing slightly at the end.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I like to simmer (not boil) in sliced onions and stout and then cook raised direct at 350* or so.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    If you have some applewood use it in addition to the hickory.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I learned a technique off Cooks Country years ago and it has served me well. A couple of steps but nothing too complicated. Slice two large Texas Sweet onions into half rings. Put them in a glass bowl and into the microwave for 8 min stir at 4. This gives the onions a head start and insures that they will impart their goodness to the brats before the brats over cook. When the onions are done line the bottom of  a foil lasagna pan with them, it's ok if the layer is thick. Put the brats on top of the onions (you can add sliced peppers at this point if you choose). Cover the Brats and onions with a foil cover. Put the pan on the grill and allow the onions to sweat and steam the brats. (adding Beer is also and option). at 350 depending on your altitude,  about 15 - 20 minutes will do it. Take the brats out and finish them on the grill at higher heat marking them quickly and well. (also finish the peppers the same way, if you chose to use them. Allow the onions to continue to cook uncovered. This technique has never failed to turn out a crunchy bite through skin with a little char, and a moist, tender, meaty middle. And then you also have the peppers and onions. Many ways to use these components. I add herbs and spices to the onions in the pan. Have fun. Pass the stone ground mustard, would you please. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    For once, only once I agree with little stefon.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    The more I read the forum the more I realize how inexperienced I am when it comes to cooking on the Egg. I just cooked them direct and enjoyed them. Guess that won't happen again. The cooking not the enjoying part that is!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • yzzi
    Options
    I'm definitely doing peppers and onions, and I bought some Hungarian mustard too while I was there, and boy it is soooooooo good. Thanks for all your suggestions!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Raised / Direct / 400 for the brats. No idea what the other is. Plus doing onions on the side. imageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    henapple said:
    For once, only once I agree with little stefon.
    You could have agreed wit @keeperoftheflame instead. Inbred!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    there used to be a recipe on this site posted by charwoody called firecracker bratts. simmer in onions and beer til they plump up, allow to cool down a bit and coat with mustard very lightly and then dust with a hot rub and back onto a hot grill to brown up, been doing that for years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it