Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs - First Try

Options
Taylorcw
Taylorcw Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in Forum List
Trying to do Spare Ribs for the first time. We invited/bribed our friends to come over to help bottle up the two batches of Homebrew that are ready. We tempted them with Ribs on the smoker. Everyone accepted the bribe and I went to the store to pick up some baby backs.
No baby back ribs (the only kind I've done), but they did have Spare Ribs. Didn't have time running from one grocery store to another so I decided to go with it.

After getting everything out and prepared I had cut myself short of the 5 hours I normally save to do ribs, so I decided to try out the Turbo Ribs that I've seen all over the forum. After doing some research I also learned that my ribs, that I already had prepared, needed to be trimmed (Ooops). So finally got them trimmed the best of my ability, and put on the egg.

I'm bringing the egg up to about 300 and shooting for about 3 hours. Should I pull and wrap in foil at any point in the cook?
Any other advice for the first time turbo?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Skip the foil and you'll be just fine! BTW spares are so much more tasty than BB in MHO!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Taylorcw
    Options
    RRP said:
    Skip the foil and you'll be just fine! BTW spares are so much more tasty than BB in MHO!
    Good to know for next time. I pulled them after 1:45 and foiled them with Reds Apple Ale, I'm leaving them on there for another 45 min in the foil, then I was going to pull and throw them back on for 30 min to tighten up.
  • Taylorcw
    edited August 2014
    Options
    They turned out pretty good. I don't think I trimmed them properly at all, but I guess I'll learn over time. They were a little tough compared to my last ribs, so I'm going to lean towards the low and slow rather than the Turbo.

All in all everyone loved them, but there were parts of it that needed to be trimmed.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good looking ribs.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DieselkW
    Options
    I have tried, in the 6 months I've been using a BGE, baby backs and St. Louis style pork ribs three times each.

The smaller baby backs are easier to handle, and I think have a better final presentation than their bulkier cousins cut closer to the tips. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html

My lonely opinion, the couple of hours or so they spend inside a foil wrap is essential to that "fall off the bone" finish, no matter the length of the bone. 

I start them with a dry rub, and before wrapping in foil, I mop on a Carolina style vinegar base sauce.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.