Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Tubbed Tri Tip

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Decided to cook tri tip at 5:00 this evening and I didn't have time to thaw the one I had in the freezer, so I hot tubed the frozen hunk of meat for about an hour. I've never done this before, but I read on the forum this week where someone uses their SV to thaw steaks, so I gave it a try. I cooked the Jack Stack Cheesey Corn on the Small while the tri tip was in the hot tub. Used the Santa Maria rub and did a reverse sear on the tri tip. The tri tip was more tender than usual. Don't know if it was better quality meat or the hot tub, but I learned something today. I forgot to get a picture of the tri tip on the Egg.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Looks delicious! I'm a big advocate of hot tubbing, but for the benefit it gives to producing perfectly grilled medium rare steaks and prime rib time after time. I never thought about doing that to merely thaw meat, Good job!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Nicely done! I like to hot tub larger hunks of beef as well.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Hot Tub?

Are you talking about actually using a hot tub?  Or is this something else...

And if so, how do you seal it up if you don't have a vacuum sealer?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

KiterTodd said:
    Hot Tub?

Are you talking about actually using a hot tub?  Or is this something else...

And if so, how do you seal it up if you don't have a vacuum sealer?
    A strong vacuum is best, but if you put something heavy in a regular zip bag w. the meat (I use a small marble pestle) and squeeze most of the air out. it works OK. Sinks to the bottom of the water bath, and can be turned after awhile. Or add some wine, and let some of that dribble out as the bag is squeezed shut.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I wanna know more about the jack stack cheesey corn.

Little Rock, AR

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    I wanna know more about the jack stack cheesey corn.
    +1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Hawg Fan
    Options
    I vacuum sealed the tri tip and put it in a styrofoam chest with hop tap water and covered it with the lid. The styrofoam chest is a shipping container for steaks that I use for all my cooks. It work much better than an ice chest. The Cheesey Corn recipe is from Jack Stack's web site.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well good Lord, I already make a version of that, but use a little buttermilk in addition to sweet milk. Thanks, though. Never have thought of baking it after mixing it.

Little Rock, AR

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @Hawg Fan‌ I'm from Santa Maria! Which version of rub did you use?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    PNWFoodie, my SM rub was 1 part each of: kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, turbinado sugar and 1/2 part onion powder.

Terry

Rockwall, TX