Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Boston butt (step by step w/pics)

Options
KingtUT
KingtUT Posts: 157
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
9lb butt, fat trimmed, rubbed with mustard and Byron's butt rub the night before, Ozark oak lump, apple wood chunks, and a drip pan. Meat set out for about 30 minutes to get to room temp. I Placed a ring of Apple wood chunks around the outside edge of the coal (about 10-12 chunks) and Smoked the butt for 4hrs at 280-290 dome temp (raised grid). Meat temp was at 155 at this point. Foiled the butt and increased temp to 325-340 and cooked for 3 more hours (raised grid). Checked the meat temp and it was 210 and I just knew I had screwed up and cooked it to long. I let it set uncovered for 45 minutes before shredding it, and I was absolutely shocked at the amount of moisture in this butt. Once shredded I poured the juices from the foil back over the pork and also added another dusting of Byron's butt rub. I then added a little vinegar based BBQ sauce and a little tomato based BBQ sauce. This turned out to be the best I've ever made and from this point on I won't pull until the meat reaches 210. Hope this helps some of you who are as lost as I was when I first started this big green egg adventure. Hope I included the pics properly. Good luck. imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments