Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Iron Skillet

I'm wanting to cook in the iron skillet tonight. What should I cook?
Scott
Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack

Comments

• SGHSGH Posts: 23,997
    I love fried pork chops out of heavy iron. I love chicken as well. Pretty fond of fish as well. A big ribeye would be par excellent. Ham steaks are excellent out of heavy iron pans as well. Hash and beef brains are also excellent out of the black pans. Shall I continue?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • texaswigtexaswig Posts: 2,222
    I was just looking for some new ideas. @sgh no need to get cocky.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

• wbradkingwbradking Posts: 351
    Mix a can of cranberries with a packet of Liptons onion soup mix. Put that on top of some chops and egg at 350 till done. Mmmmmmm....
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
    @texaswig‌
    Wasn't being cocky my friend. Merely offering suggestions that I truly enjoy out of the iron pans. Was trying to be helpful. Sorry if you took it any other way as that was not my intent at all.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
    Now that's different. Sounds good.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

It's was "the shall I continue" haha
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,506
    A little touchy, aren't we??

>:) =))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    @texaswig‌
    It was meant as a mere question and nothing more. I asked because I have numerous other suggestions. Didn't want to just keep typing needless. Again my apologies .

Status- Standing by.

No worries.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,127
    wbradking said:
    Mix a can of cranberries with a packet of Liptons onion soup mix. Put that on top of some chops and egg at 350 till done. Mmmmmmm....

This sounds great!
    Not to be too anal, but do you use jellied cranberry sauce or that with whole cranberries in it?
    I want to try this!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • freddyjfreddyj Posts: 129
    Nothing like an apple pie cooked in a skillet on a kamado
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 16,841
    edited August 2014
    Blackened fish, scallops, crabcakes, burgers, apples, pineapple, steak, Spatchcock, veggies, cobbler, crisp, pork chops, brats in beer, etc etc ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
    @jaydub58: We use the cans with whole cranberries.  Try it...it's wonderful.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
    Mexican cornbread is par excellent out of the heavy iron pans as well. One of my favorites.

Status- Standing by.

• td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,351
    mac and cheese with bacon
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    @sgh my mom makes black Eyed Peas cornbread with white gravy. One of my favorites.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

@texaswig‌
    That is about as good as it gets my friend .

Status- Standing by.

@wbradking, I had left the house for lthe evening before this came in.
    Many thanks, it's on the menu for this week.
    @jaydub58, since this was under the subject of Iron Skilet, I did want to point out that I do them in a cast iron skillet rather than putting the topped chops directly on the grid.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
    Thanx for the tip!
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Fajitas
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,824

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

@SmokeyPitt‌ that is now on my list of things to cook.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

@mlamb01‌ I be cooked pizza like that a bunch of times in the oven before I got my egg. But I need to try it on a bge.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

• mlamb01mlamb01 Posts: 210
    I have found that if I preheat the egg to 650, when I put the pizza on in the skillet the temp will drop to about 600, and it takes 12 minutes to cook the pizza. Don't let it sit to long in the pan once you pull it from the egg, the pan will continue to cook the crust. I leave it in there just long enough for the sizing to die down. Oh, and cook it with no daisy wheel. Let's you look down thru the top to check on it.
    Yep. I put pizzas on top of AR. You can see them good with no daisy.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

• wbradking said:

OK; so I tried this and.......

It was CRAZY good, Thanks for shareing

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana

Hey @Gator_Fan‌ glad you liked it. It sure is a favorite at our house and so easy to make.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • CI Pan Seared Whole Chicken. Unique and amazingly good.