Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paprika app

Options
@PNWFoodie‌ mentioned the paprika app in the Best of the Best thread and just wanted to see who's using it and their opinions. I started a new thread because I didn't want to hijack the @marianneiamele1‌ thread.
Basically just want to know if it's worth the $4.99 and how much you use it. I've spent too much money on apps I don't use. I just looked at the App Store and if I get this app it'll cost $10.00. Need one for iPad and iPhone.
Any info would be great. Thanks
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @stemc33‌ As I said, I swear I have no affiliation with this app, but it is seriously the most used one I have (well, other than google and things of that nature) on my ipad and android phone. I would tell you it was the best money I've ever spent on an app. I've been using it for a couple of years now and the updates just make it get better and better. If you'd like to know more (or get some pointers), PM and I'll send my cell number.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Chef Tell loves Paprika

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    All my recipes are stored on Paprika. It does save recipes from few of the websites if it is formatted in the way that Paprika requires. Otherwise it is a simple copy and paste to save the recipes. I like it and I think it's worth the money.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    I have had this app for two years or so, and it is indispensable for me. One thing about paying more for an app is that the developer can afford not to abandon it. Updates are regular and useful. Unlike a lot of the free and $0.99 apps I have. The number of websites supported for the auto-import feature is steadily growing. One click and the recipe is added to your collection. I also use the meal planning function a lot. Even though it is expensive compared to other apps, I still think it delivers outstanding value.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    I have looked at the description in the App Store and I think I am sold -- I already have my recipes stored in DropBox, but this looks a whole lot better. @PNWFoodie thanks for the suggestion..and thanks to everyone else here for the affirmations.  I will let you know how it goes!!! Looking forward to adding it.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I just looked at the App Store and am a little confused on how this App works. From an iPad, will there be an icon when you tap on the export box like how twitter and Facebook appear? Also, will your own recipes automatically integrate with the ones copied from a webpage? Just curious if I have to search the App in multiple sections to find the recipe I'm looking for.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • kthacher
    Options
    @stemc33‌ When you add a recipe from any source, you can put it in a category, just like a recipe book. The source does not matter, so recipes from the web can co-mingle with your own. You can create whatever categories you want. Later you can browse by category like Vegetables, Marinades, BBQ etc. Categories can have children. I have a lot of potato recipes, so I have a Potato group within Vegetables. I also now have a BGE group under BBQ. So you can organize however you want. Search searches everywhere, so one search finds all applicable recipes, no matter how they are grouped. And for everyone with their amazing egging photos, you can add those to the recipe too, so that they are easier to find. This also personalizes the content. It is also easy to e mail a recipe if someone is particularly impressed with one of your creations.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • marianneiamele1
    Options
    Some of you may find this link helpful. http://paprikaapp.com/help/ipad/
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looked at this one some time ago (maybe a year?) Looking through the current "how to use" I do not see scaling or measurement change. Could be my own oversight. 
    For those who use it can you help with:
    If a recipe is made for 4, can you scale it to serve 6?
    If a recipe is in US measure, can it be changed to metric? 

Looks pretty good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • kthacher
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Scaling yes. Conversion to metric or vice versa, no. Although there is a converter function. But you cannot convert a recipe en masse.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    I have it and love it. I haven't don't the iPhone version yet, just the ipad one. Once you use it, you'll never use anything else
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @kthacher - Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I am using MacGourmet. Does anyone have both and can share a comparison of the two. Can it convert a MacGourmet database or do recipes need to be imported individually?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• kthacher
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @jtcBoynton‌ I don't have the macGourmet app so I cannot compare, but per the user guide posted above, Paprika can import .mgourmet, and .mgourmet3 files.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I saw it could import single files, but it wasn't clear if it could import an entire database at once. One at a time for several thousand files would be a real pain.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy