Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Magnificent rhubarb cobbler

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
A friend from work gave me some rhubarb after I was complaining about the farmers market running out. I've been wanting to try making rhubarb cobbler for a while and tonight was my chance. I searched the internet for a good recipe, but couldn't find anything I liked. Some recipes called for eggs. I knew I was not putting eggs in a cobbler. It was at this point I decided to wing it by modifying my blackberry recipe. Here's some pics and steps for dessert awesomeness on the egg. Skillet used was 10".

1. Chop 3 cups rhubarb into 1/4-1/2" pieces. 2. Mix rhubarb, 0.5 Tbsp salt , 2 Tbsp corn starch, and 1 cup sugar in bowl. Let set for a hour or two. Stir occasionally.
3. In another bowl, mix 1cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, a few shakes of cinnamon and nutmeg, and 1/4 cup milk.
This will make a clumpy mess.
4. At this point, pour in rhubarb juice. See pic below. You'll want to mix in enough juice to make a batter that's a little thicker than cake batter. Add more milk if you need more liquid.
5. Melt 3/4 stick of butter in skillet and let cool slightly. Don't over heat.
6. Pour batter into skillet then top with drained rhubarb. See pics.
7. Egg at 375°ish until done. Approximately 30 minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Man that sounds outstanding to say the least. Brother your pics look par excellent as well. Hapster better look out!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Thanks @SGH‌ . Had a few challenges tonight, but very pleased with the turnout. Blackberry anything is still my favorite, but rhubarb stuff is close behind. I've eaten lots rhubarb pies and crisps, but this is the first cobbler. By far the best, excluding the pies my grandma made for me when I was young.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    @stemc33‌
    Again it looks excellent my friend. You and I absolutely agree on one thing for sure. Blackberry anything is outstanding!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @stemc33‌
    Brother challenges are just part of it. It's the end result that matters though. Looks like you pulled it out with a home run. Enjoy that fine looking cobbler my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,528
    Great post and pics..I still can't get my mind around rhubarb..I think it is a childhood thing. Yours looks very tasty.
    :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stemc33
    Great post and pics..I still can't get my mind around rhubarb..I think it is a childhood thing. Yours looks very tasty.
    :-c

Thanks!
    Not sure what your meaning about mind around rhubarb and childhood thing??? That could be good or bad. Hope you weren't beat with it. A rhubarb lashing would be a horrible experience. ;)
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,528
    LoL..No it was a taste thing, and the only thing I can think of was the way my mom prepared it. I need to give it another try..Thats not a good visual though of a kid getting a good whipping in the Walmart produce section with a bunch of rhubarb.. :))
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stemc33
    @johnmitchell‌ , not sure if your mom served it with ice cream or not, but it makes a world of difference with ice cream.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @stemc33‌ Nice job! Looks like a solid rhubarb cobbler recipe. I also like a good rhubarb crisp.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    Thanks @NPHuskerFL‌ , I have some left over rhubarb, maybe I'll make a crisp now that you mentioned it.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming