Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show Us Your Cast Iron

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Frying an egg with large amounts of fat and scrambling an egg with little fat are completely different animals, not even comparable.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Dobie said:
    OK I'm on the garage sale and estate sale circuit for the 100 year old cast iron holy grail. Self cleaning, impervious to sticking and cooks gourmet meals with no oil.

Let me know when you find it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Focker said:
    Frying an egg with large amounts of fat and scrambling an egg with little fat are completely different animals, not even comparable.  

ok
  • Focker
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Dobie said:
    OK I'm on the garage sale and estate sale circuit for the 100 year old cast iron holy grail. Self cleaning, impervious to sticking and cooks gourmet meals with no oil.

Let me know when you find it.
    Seems like you, Eggcelsior, and Carolina Q have already found it. 

I want one. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    There's a lot of hoopla in this thread. Sorry I don't have pictures but my collection includes Griswold #9 Dutch oven, griddle, muffin pan, 8 skillet, 3 skillet, Wagner 6 and 8 skillets, emril big hunker skillet, and a griswold forgery of the wheat stick pan. And a couple le crueset enameled pieces.

All my ware is used heavily in 90% of our cooks. Rarely use our allclad set these days. Cleaning is simple: wipe with a paper towel and put back most of the time, scrape or scrub with wooden spatula or course side of sponge and wipe and store other times, or maybe wash with water and dry on stove and coat with oil.

I don't bother trying to get carbonized stuff off anymore since the next cook cleans up the last cook. Just keep using it and you'll spend less time cleaning it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Mine never sees soap and will fry an egg with no problem. In fact, it almost never needs the scrubber.

Me too! Even scrambled! I get less residue than I do with my nonstick skillet. Boy Mr Travis, we're on to something!
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Focker said:
    You will want The Ringer.  Anyone who says they only use a paper towel to clean their cast iron after cooking doesn't really use CI.  For 20 bucks, it's worth every penny and makes a PITA chore a breeze.
    Wow! +1 on the Ringer. Fantastic tool for cast iron. Just throw it in the dishwasher every so often.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    OK with the help of this thread and some basic interwebs searches I have figured out that CI cooking has mostly died for use of more modern cooking surfaces and that the craftsmanship in modern pieces is lacking. Older pieces 50 plus years old were cast of thinner iron and polished surfaces. The fact that there are no modern equivalents produced today is really sad. I didn't want to have to learn how to buy, restore and identify something produced before I was born just to sear some meat. I thought the stuff was cool, but I'm delving into more hassle than bargained for to obtain cookware. Its really sad no high quality pieces are any longer produced.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Well, for my part I started acquiring CI because my wife wouldn't let me use our cookware on the BGE. Lodge was the obvious cost-efficient choice. No regrets. It's been as non-stick as I could want, has stood up to 700 degrees-plus and has been very flexible. Washes up great with a Ringer and some water, wipe it down with some vegetable oil on a paper towel then occasionally put it in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour.

Learn how to buy?...I got my various Lodge pieces from Amazon.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Dobie said:

OK with the help of this thread and some basic interwebs searches I have figured out that CI cooking has mostly died for use of more modern cooking surfaces and that the craftsmanship in modern pieces is lacking. Older pieces 50 plus years old were cast of thinner iron and polished surfaces. The fact that there are no modern equivalents produced today is really sad. I didn't want to have to learn how to buy, restore and identify something produced before I was born just to sear some meat. I thought the stuff was cool, but I'm delving into more hassle than bargained for to obtain cookware. Its really sad no high quality pieces are any longer produced.

Learning to buy and restore is the whole fun of it! It's actually very easy and I use my egg to do it all.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    @dobie I recommend you just go buy a new Lodge skillet just to use. They cook just fine. We use our emril pan all the time and it cooks great. If you're put off by finding an old one then just go find a new one and put it to use. The older ones may be made differently and are preferred by many people, but it doesn't mean the new ones suck. They'll sear a steak like you dream of. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Good post @yzzi, Lodge cast iron are very nice pans they just must be used often!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Focker said:
    I am Jonesing for the Lodge Hibachi. Great for apps like Satay or Tuna.
    The Lodge Sportsman's Grill is a heavy, awkward tank.  The goofy handle and elevated grid design makes transferring difficult and the draft door and charcoal doors fall out easily.  Cleanup was a PITA.  A great searing machine though with a considerable amount of grid real estate with the oval design.  All of the coals burn out with each cook.   

Stripped, reseasoned and sold it for a small profit on craigslist.  FWIW, would buy another before getting a mini though. 

Interesting take, @Focker. I'm surprised the door design is so flimsy. So how is cleanup harder than any other well-seasoned CI device? Yeah, I know all the fuel will burn regardless, but it does not hold much. I envision using it for dinner parties serving appetizers.

I'm impressed with how folks user their Minis. I don't see me getting one because when I use my medium, I use all the space so a mini would not see much use.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Focker
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Focker said:
    I am Jonesing for the Lodge Hibachi. Great for apps like Satay or Tuna.
    The Lodge Sportsman's Grill is a heavy, awkward tank.  The goofy handle and elevated grid design makes transferring difficult and the draft door and charcoal doors fall out easily.  Cleanup was a PITA.  A great searing machine though with a considerable amount of grid real estate with the oval design.  All of the coals burn out with each cook.   

Stripped, reseasoned and sold it for a small profit on craigslist.  FWIW, would buy another before getting a mini though. 

Interesting take, @Focker. I'm surprised the door design is so flimsy. So how is cleanup harder than any other well-seasoned CI device? Yeah, I know all the fuel will burn regardless, but it does not hold much. I envision using it for dinner parties serving appetizers.

I'm impressed with how folks user their Minis. I don't see me getting one because when I use my medium, I use all the space so a mini would not see much use.

The charcoal door isn't so much flimsy, but has two tabs at the bottom.  When lifting with the handle to carry, it falls out.  The draft door slides into a groove at the bottom.  It will slide out with any movement.  Found it was best to remove both when transferring.  

All of the ash falls to the bottom, requiring you to lift and dump the ash out every cook.  The base weighs 25+ lbs ez, enough to be a PITA.  Fully assembled, easily 40 lbs.  

With it being CI, and being used primarily to sear at higher heat, rust was an issue, definitely in the charcoal area and cooking grid.  Kept it in the shed, taking it out for each use, and putting it back immediately after cleaning.  Sprayed with Pam at first to keep the rust at bay, but the small amount of ash would combine with the canola and gunk it up.  Was a project stripping and reseasoning the 5 components before selling.      

It is a nice outdoor charcaol burner, you could easily fit two #8 skillets/DOs, one on each end.  A rectangular #8 griddle fit on the oval perfectly for breakfast and burgers.  It made fantastic grill marks, if that's you're thing.  And properly cared for, will outlast us. 

Many I'm sure, are happy with the Lodge Hibachi.....just offering an honest review.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JWF
    JWF Posts: 26
    Options
    So I found this at my mother in law's. Any way to learn the details? Not many markings. @travisstrick sounds like you're pretty good at identifying these things!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @jwf that lip around the bottom is called your heat ring. Google 3 break heat ring and found you have an older lodge skillet. http://www.blackskyeiron.com/p169147920
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    LOVE my cast iron! imageimageimage
  • travisstrick
    Options
    JWF said:
    So I found this at my mother in law's. Any way to learn the details? Not many markings. @travisstrick sounds like you're pretty good at identifying these things!

Lodge 1940-1960. The un named bottom with the 3 cuts in the fire ring are the give away.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Wok Shop 14" wok Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lodge 4 QT & 6 QT camp DOs Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lodge drop biscuit pan, muffin pan, 2 QT camp DO, 1 Pint kettle, 9 1/4" griddle, and grill press Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Lodge assorted skillets and mini servers Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Recently acquired Griswold #8 with cover, Wagner Ware skillets and kettle (cleaned & re-seasoned) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Not shown Bayou Classic reversible griddle
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • yzzi
    Options
    I love that kettle. I don't see those around much.
    Dunedin, FL
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    yzzi said:
    I love that kettle. I don't see those around much.

I should have taken a pic when I got it. It was covered in rust (supposedly the former owner used it to hold open a gate 8-} )
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    I picked up some more vintage CI recently.

Wagner Ware #3E 6" skillet
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Griswold Colonial Breakfast Skillet Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Some unmarked pieces in need of some restoration Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

An odd piece that looks handmade and I'm guessing is a tortilla press Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Bay Area, CA
  • yzzi
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q‌ You got some nice finds there! The colonial skillets are pretty rare (at least for me) and that's a really nice dutch oven. About how big is it?
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's some sweet Fe.
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here is my 1860 ish pan handed down through the family with scallops loaded on it. photo 27504B54-D4D7-406F-9391-398D66ED5E0C_zpsaqm0bq8t.jpg And a Griswald muffin pan I got for Fathers Day. Not sure of the age. photo CE9D77A6-1C25-4F33-8A0D-43E51E4A5E7F_zpsbt04gwct.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    @yzzi‌ - I think the camp DO with the lid is about 2 QTs. The 2nd one without the lid looks to be a 4 QT size. It has a number 8 on the bottom that looks like it was etched in by hand.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I found it in my MILs garage and I hope to find its lid but at least the lid from my Lodge will fit it.

Bay Area, CA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Got a lodge 12" skillet and a 7 qt. Dutch oven. Those 12" skillets are only 20 bucks, so whacking the handles off them, to serve BGE duty only, seems like a good way to go. That's what I plan to do.
    Dave - Austin, TX