Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Modified Smokeware cap

CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,158
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Makes it easier for me to relearn the top vent setting.

image

canuckland

Comments

  • That's pretty cool! If I was there, I would have bought one.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great idea. Remember the patent office.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,158
    Fred, I missed out at the fest but Dickson brought in a special batch of 12 couple of weeks ago.
    canuckland
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,158
    @Tulocay - I've seen some egg knockoffs that have scaled markings on the upper or lower vents. 
    canuckland
  • I look at all event swag the same. If I wasn't there, it loses appeal for me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,158
    True.  If I'm a betting man I'd say Niagara may have a special edition cap too.
    canuckland
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I think some people are missing the point.  I like the idea that you can dial in a temperature by setting the opening to a predetermined dimension.  It probably changes slightly depending on the outside temperature and the lower vent opening.  Need to have a tape measure there too!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,816
    Apparently you live somewhere that the wind doesn't blow or blows at a constant speed. I've been using a Smoke Ware cap now for 16 months now and while there are some general openings they have never been consistent. Sometime the vents are wide open to reach 320 and other times I can cruise at 400 with only a smidgen open.
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,158
    edited August 2014
    @RRP agree, other variables could be how you load the lump, type of lump, how many spots you lit, etc. etc.  not so useful for setting the vent between cooks, but sure is useful for chasing temps within the same cook, no?   :D

    with DFMT you have a good visual of the () petal size and how far you're sliding the disc, using the edge of the base as reference,
    image

     with Smokeware it's way harder (for me anyway) to get a feel for the rectangular black holes under the cap.
    canuckland
  • DobieDobie Posts: 2,286
    Somebody just make a handle that slips over the one on the SW cap and doesn't fry my hand on high temp cooks. I bump it around with tongs most the time.
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,816
    edited August 2014
    Dobie said:
    Somebody just make a handle that slips over the one on the SW cap and doesn't fry my hand on high temp cooks. I bump it around with tongs most the time.
    I assume you have the protective tab cover. OTOH I used to have that burn problem until it dawned on me to keep the tab out of harms way and it will not get nearly as hot. Look closely how the tab is always adjusted so it stands to the left of the opening and not directly in the opening.image

    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • DobieDobie Posts: 2,286
    RRP said:
    Dobie said:
    Somebody just make a handle that slips over the one on the SW cap and doesn't fry my hand on high temp cooks. I bump it around with tongs most the time.
    I assume you have the protective tab cover. OTOH I used to have that burn problem until it dawned on me to keep the tab out of harms way and it will not get nearly as hot. Look closely how the tab is always adjusted so it stands to the left of the opening and not directly in the opening.

    I do have the rubber tab but its not enough on high temps for my little digits no matter how I adjust it. Need an L shaped handle that will slip over the tab and move further away from the vent
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,816
    why not just just screw on, or bolt on an extender made of wood? A simple saw kerf would be wide enough to slip over the metal tab once you remove the protective tab. Then just drill a hole through them.
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • HankyorkeHankyorke Posts: 146
    Dobie said:


    RRP said:


    Dobie said:

    Somebody just make a handle that slips over the one on the SW cap and doesn't fry my hand on high temp cooks. I bump it around with tongs most the time.

    I assume you have the protective tab cover. OTOH I used to have that burn problem until it dawned on me to keep the tab out of harms way and it will not get nearly as hot. Look closely how the tab is always adjusted so it stands to the left of the opening and not directly in the opening.


    I do have the rubber tab but its not enough on high temps for my little digits no matter how I adjust it. Need an L shaped handle that will slip over the tab and move further away from the vent


    Run without it on high temp. Control with just the bottom vent.

    LBGE

    BTFU!

  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,816
    edited August 2014
    image

    Here's what I just made...
    image
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • DobieDobie Posts: 2,286
    RRP said:
    why not just just screw on, or bolt on an extender made of wood? A simple saw kerf would be wide enough to slip over the metal tab once you remove the protective tab. Then just drill a hole through them.
    Yep I will have to fab something up.
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • DobieDobie Posts: 2,286
    @RRP let me know how that works. I've been looking around the house at handles I could modify. Just something to relocate the position away from the vent opening.
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • BotchBotch Posts: 6,102
    A temporary solution:
     
    image
    _____________________________________________
     
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
     
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • DobieDobie Posts: 2,286
    @Botch I've considered small vicegrips ! It's the redneck in me :)
    Not playing well with others in Jacksonville FL
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,816
    edited August 2014
    Dobie said:
    @RRP let me know how that works. I've been looking around the house at handles I could modify. Just something to relocate the position away from the vent opening.
    I think it will work fine. That was just a piece of 3/4" diameter dowel that I cut at 1" length, and ran the end against a saw to cut the slot. Friction will keep it in place so I'm not sure I will even bother to attach it with a screw of bolt.
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,493
    Neat idea Ron. =D>
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP said:


    Dobie said:

    @RRP let me know how that works. I've been looking around the house at handles I could modify. Just something to relocate the position away from the vent opening.

    I think it will work fine. That was just a piece of 3/4" diameter dowel that I cut at 1" length, and ran the end against a saw to cut the slot. Friction will keep it in place so I'm not sure I will even bother to attach it with a screw of bolt.

    Yes, but will it enhance the cap's inherent coolness?
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,816
    edited August 2014
    I just offered a suggestion to solve his burnt finger problem. I have no intention of using that knob that I made in 1 minute today myself.
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • Hey Ron!  I have a Smokeware cap and I keep the handle to the left as you suggest and that works for me.  I didn't mean to put you on defense.  That was quick thinking with that dowel and a nice chamfer. 

    Flint, Michigan
  • ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,937
    Jeremiah said:
    Neat idea Ron. =D>
    I second that opinion.

    In fact, I nominate RRP for the Smart Idea of the Week award.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

    Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

    Location: somewhere West of the Mason-Dixon Line
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.