Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best of the Best

2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @marianneiamele1‌
    I only use my large for this cook. I simply remove the plate setter and turn up the heat for the sear. Until yesterday the large was the only egg I owned. Bought the wife a mini yesterday but it can't handle prime rib. And you are very correct I'm going by internal temp only. I do not cook any thing to time. Time just will not work. There are far to many factors that can affect time when cooking primals and subprimals . If you will go by internal temp you will always get excellent results. Just a point. I do have several very large specialized cookers but not eggs. And for the prime rib I use only the large BGE. It does a fabulos job in this arena. I hope you enjoy this simple recipe. My family loves it. Good luck my friend. If I can help any farther just ask.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @SGH Thanks for the clarification.  This is worth practicing before the holidays.  I will let you know when I get it all together.  Thanks again for your help!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @marianneiamele1‌
    You are more than welcome my friend. I think that you will really be pleased with the results.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2014
    Would have to be this Marg, finished with microplaned parm and a swirl of Calabrian chile oil.....sublime.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• @Focker‌ wow that looks good!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Focker
    edited August 2014
    Thanks much @marianneiamele1,

Lots of trial, and error, to get there.  A pleasant surprise opening the egg to that visual and aroma after 3 minutes of baking.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My wife's favorite is my beef short rib stew. People fawn over my baked potato soup. The Mexican love bites are always a hit. I really don't have a favorite. I quess if I had to choose it would be faux coshon de lait. ..nibble me this recipe.

The eggrolls are phenomenal.

You have to say spatchcock like capt kirk...spatch.....cockchicken.
    Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not an egger.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Brisket. See bubbatim.com
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Spatchcock w/Dizzy Dust

Rib Eyes w/ Salt LIck Original Rub - reverse sear. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Focker said:

Lots of trial, and error, to get there.  A pleasant surprise opening the egg to that visual and aroma after 3 minutes of baking.  

Focker, what temp did you cook at?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited August 2014
    After reading this thread I bought a chicken on the way home from work yesterday.  It was a done deal in my head...30 minutes to prep the chicken and the egg (in this case, the egg would come first), 60 minutes to cook it, dinner a bit over 90 minutes after I popped my head in the house.  Perfect!

I sent the wife a text on my way home... 
    "I'm making chicken tonight.  Dinner @ 6:45."
    The reply, "I already picked some food up from Wegmans"

@#$%!...she was the Lex Luther to my SEP (Spatchcock Evil Plan) and I ate crappy store made meatloaf instead.  I'm not a fan of buying prepared food as it is, let alone meatloaf. 
    The chicken is in the fridge. 
    Some day soon, I will unleash the Spatch on my unsuspecting family.  <insert evil laugh here>

LBGE/Maryland
  • @KiterTodd‌ that sounds like our household! Wegman's. We used to live in Rottenchester, NY where they had Wegman's...a great grocery store!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Focker
    KiterTodd said:
    Focker said:

Focker, what temp did you cook at?
    Dome was just shy of 1000 and climbing when pie went on.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have only had my XL for about 6 months and there are a lot of things I have cooked I that I love, but the one I love the most is a whole beef tenderloin. I cooked it at 350 to 133°, pulled it and covered it in foil tell the vegetables were cooked. When sliced if was medium to medium rare. I rubbed it with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I want to do it again soon, but I need to find a deal on it agian, $7 per pound. I cooked it indirect.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Like many others, I have tons of favorites.  Something off the beaten path that I loved and would do over and over again is beef short ribs.  Here's a link to how I did it, with pix -- it turned out great (if I do say so myself).

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited August 2014
  • @Ladeback69‌ WOW where do you find tenderloin at $7/lb? I'll make that in a heartbeat!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's pretty much how I do it.  As low as you can go, then reverse sear.  Salt and pepper is all it needs.  You can make an au jus with the drippings and some beef consomme - Campbell's beef consomme works. But the most important part is the horseradish sauce.  You can find recipes for that all over, change any recipe to meet your personal taste.
    @Ladeback69‌ WOW where do you find tenderloin at $7/lb? I'll make that in a heartbeat!

You just have to keep an eye on your local markets. I was at one of our local Hen House Markets buying baby backs at $3.99 per pound and found that the beef tenderloin was on sale. It is normally $17 per pound. Or get lucky, I haven't found it for that in a while. It was yummy have found smaller ones, but at $12 to $14 per pound at Sam's Club. If you find one buy it. I was going to take it tp 115 then sear each piece, but it was easier to take to 130ish and everyone was hungry and loved it. Nine adults and 3 kids ate about 6 pounds of it or more.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • @Ladeback69 -- great info...thanks.  I did buy a whole tenderloin at Sam's once and there was more fat on it than I wanted...so I am hesitant.  That too is probably luck of the draw. It is probably worth trying again.  Thanks also for the info on the cook.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Harker Heights (next to ft hood)

I spent a year at Ft. Hood. You just triggered an amazing case of PTSD. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424

Indirect started at 450 for about 30 minutes, then I scaled it back to about 350 for the remainder.  Lots of rub that is specifically for rib roast.  BBQ Galore, I think.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Wow @DonWW that  looks awesome very nice cook!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • KiterTodd
    DonWW, it should be illegal to post those pictures without inviting me over for dinner.

Looks awesome.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The best of the best of the best, SIR!  With honors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRi28W-ENY
  • PNWFoodie
    @marianneiamele1‌ May I ask if you are computer savvy? If so, may I recommend you consider an electronic recipe book? (I have one I can recommend). That binder is going to get awfully thick with all the wonderful recipes you'll find on here. :)
    Sandy
  • @PNWFoodie‌ I'm not bad...but I still like to print my recipes and I like to read books in print rather than read on a Kindle. If it's a way to organize recipes...I'm interested in your suggestion.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • PNWFoodie
    It's most def a way to organize...and I promise I have no affiliation with the app whatsoever. It's called "Paprika" and I think a few people on here use it. Great way to organize your recipes so they can be easily searched. It also has a pantry function that keeps track of what you have on hand and a shopping list, but I've never really used either one. For organizing recipes from the web, I have never found anything better.
    Sandy