Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This and That

First, @caliking‌ asked for an update on the ash basket: I still like it mainly because I hate messing with the ash. That said, I've been using it without the stock fire grate, which causes the egg to burn A LOT more lump. Now that all the RO is all gone I'll probably stick the stock grate back in. We'll see how that goes because the basket doesn't quite fit well with it in. image

Second, the reason I've finally gave up on RO: this is plastic. I know, I've burnt up enough cars in my life to know that this is melted plastic. I've found multiple pieces in every bag of RO this summer. Done. And don't care how cheap RO gets. image

Third, @anzyegg‌ and I went in on this order from Firecraft. Arrived in a few days time, but-- I believe Ace Ventura delivered it. Box had more tape and holes in it than cardboard. Have yet to open a bag so... image

Fourth, I had to do chops tonight too. If cazzy was the crowned winner, consider these a lap or two down. But they tasted great and were quick on a busy night. Still loving the dizzy pig bayouish and raising the steaks. image

Oh and a pic of my flowers peeing. image
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Nice looking grub and pictures of this and that @Jeremiah‌. I have wondered how the kick ash basket works out. I hate putting on gloves and hand scooping lump.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Had the same sort of "Cracker Jack" BS surprises in like 8 seperate bags of Cowboy. It's totally uncool! Excellent chops boss! Great pics :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Nice chops, I thought that basket was stainless, why is it rusty

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412

Nice chops, I thought that basket was stainless, why is it rusty

Nope. Plain steel. Well see how long it lasts.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Never ever found anything but some stones in RO and have gone though quite a lot.  Now, Cowboy, I suppose my worst was some insulation.  As to the basket, I cannot tell you how many cool accesories I no longer use.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Jeremiah, I'll have to disagree with you that the Ash Bashket causes you to burn more lump.  The mass burn rate is dependent on the smallest "diameter hose in the chain"; it might be the bottom vent, it might be the top vent.  
    Don't know if the stock fire grate has more open area than the bottom vent wide open, but I'm betting it does, so it'll have to be the top or bottom that determines the final lump "burn rate".  

Your chop, and the whole meal, look fantastic!!  
    :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I will finally be getting my hands on some Rockwood this Saturday. I can't wait to try it out. But to be honest, I really have no problem with Royal Smoke. I've had great luck with it, other than the smoke. And I always get real big pieces in every bag. Oh, and nice chops!
    NW IOWA
  • Jeremiah
    You're probably right @Botch‌ as I'm basing my thoughts on 3 whopping cooks. Can't really try again either 'cuz the RO is all gone. :-??
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Miah, great looking chops bruh!  I would crush that plate in a heartbeat.

Also, great pics man!!!  You stepping your game up...I LIKE IT!!   :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother you chops look par excellent. The only thing that I can see wrong with them is they are not on a plate in arms reach of me!! Short of that perfect. Love the flowers too.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have easily burnt through 1500 plus pounds of RO in the last couple years and some rocks but never anything like that. Not sure how people get suck crappy bags over and over.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Thanks for the update. Great chops! Love the peeing flowers too :) you're gonna love that Rockwood.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Thanks for the comments fellas. Really can't wait to try the new coal!
  • Jeremiah
    This is our fedex guy:
    http://youtu.be/2Q6_9A90cUk
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Upper echelon post! Informational, great pictures, tells a story, super cook!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Jeremiah
    jhl192 said:

Upper echelon post! Informational, great pictures, tells a story, super cook!

Thanks man! :-bd
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking chops.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Wonderful chops and it was great to meet you today. Thanks for letting partake in the Rockwood and Ozark deal. I can't wait to start using some of it.
  • SGH
    @anzyegg‌
    Now you need to come and meet me. I'm feeling neglected brother! ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    It would be awesome to get together with you my good friend. I've always wanted to get down in your are and also NO. I have to get some time when my band is off and it's a bit quiter at work. If you get down around Aiken you will have to stop by. Of course I'll need to stock up on food and lump just to feed you(ha)....
  • SGH
    @anzyegg‌
    It would be my pleasure brother.

Status- Standing by.