Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston butt on my new LBGE

Options
stv8r
stv8r Posts: 1,127
Used the recipe from the LifeStyle magazine included with my new LBGE from Virginia Willis.  Followed it to a tee.  Was very happy with the results when done, but will rethink wrapping my soaked hardwood chunks (hickory) in foil.  Would like a bit more smoke flavor.  Her homemade bbq sauce recipe was tangy but very flavorful.  It took a bit of tinkering to get used to temp control (was shooting for 250) but finally landed on about an 1/8" gap on bottom door and very small opening on daisy wheel(maybe 1/4")    Crazy compared to my old ProQ Excel 20 water smoker.  I used a ton more charcoal(briquettes I'm ashamed to say) and had to have the water replenished every few hoursin my ProQ.  Lump is a dream in the BGE.  Cooked for 7hrs (it was a 4lb butt) and 1/2 a firebox left of unburnt lump. Amount of air required on my LBGE is ridiculously low compared to that one.  Finally got it nailed down after an hour or so and was very happy with my results, considering it was my first on my egg.  Foiled at 165 and pulled at 205F.

Comments