Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about chili/gumbo/stew on the Egg

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035

I am intrigued by the posts I have seen about chilis/gumbos/stews on the Egg and want to try one.

A question for those of you who have done them; do you start on the stove for the saute portion of the cook and then move to the Egg to finish? Or do you go all the way on the Egg

My concern is this; I have an XL and have had several experiences with it going nuclear if I leave the lid open too long (even with air intake vent mostly closed). Especially for a gumbo, I can't see how I could get the roux right and keep the temp steady. With Chili I like to slowly saute the onions and chilis and again I worry that would be a real challenge on the Egg

So my thought is to start on the stove, get my base right, then move to the Egg to simmer for a while and hopefully pick up some flavor.

Finally, what set up do you use? I was thinking indirect at 375

Thanks for the help

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have done a full cook on the egg and I'll start out direct and brown the meat and veggies, then switch to indirect.  I have also used the stove and to be honest I don't think it makes much of a difference.  You aren't going to get much smoke flavor during the short time it takes to brown meat and saute veggies.  It's easier to just get the egg setup indirect and do the saute portion on the burner so that is what I usually do now.  Another added bonus is I can just ask my wife to do all that and then I just drink beer and set it on the egg and watch it smoke. 

For the setup I use a traditional indirect setup on my large- plate setter legs up, grid, dutch oven on the grid.  On the small egg I have to get a bit creative so my DO will fit so I use a pizza stone and the big green egg feet to elevate the DO off the stone.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I start inside because it's just easier for me.

Plate setter legs up then grid. I go 325-350 due to the convective properties of the egg.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I use a 9qt DO on my large direct just sitting on the grate.  For gumbos I do the roux inside in a cast iron pan because it is easier to control the heat on the gas stove.  When the weather is cooler I like to start the pot, chili, gumbo or stew usually beef in the early evening cook for 3-4 hours 325-350F with the top off and then when it is about done, add additional liquid to make sure it does not dry out and then shut the BGE down until the next morning. IMHO this allows the pot to get additional smoke flavor, I don't have to remove the hot pot and let it cool before refrigerating it and usually in the AM the pot is still warm to the touch.