Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork chop... scratching my head

Options
So, for the first time since I moved to TX, I found decently cut pork chops. Just seeing them at Kroger made me weak in the knees.  Not quite the  "Iowa cut" which I miss dearly, but 1"+ at least. Fired up the large, 350°F, raised direct,  apple wood, DP Raging River,  and threw them on last minute. Would have liked to have brined them first, but no time - this week has been, and will still be, kinda crazy.

Meant to check at 20 mins, but 35ish minutes later... thermapen read 170ish. AAAARRRRGGGGH!!! I was expecting a complete disaster. Pulled them, let them rest under foil for 10mins, then chowed down.

I ate the whole thing. It was spectacular. Super juicy, and tender. So happy that I didn't ruin such beautiful chops, but I'm perplexed. Why was it still so good? Do thick cut chops behave more like a roast i.e. still good at higher IT, or what is it?

Only one pic, and not a great one, from my phone.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I've had plenty of great chops in that range.  The average american is going to be scared of pork and keep it way past that, well that would be if they even used a thermometer! 

Hope your doing well bud

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Glad it worked out. Would have thought at 170 just leave on till 205 and pull that bad boy =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm guessing they were pre brined?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Pork chops are definitely NOT bigger in Texas. Brining makes a huge difference.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    While I would agree with you that you might have benefited from a lower final temp, I'm glad they were delicious. Maybe you just missed pork chops that much.  :D
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Diaper change duty accounted for the 15 minute delay in temp check?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm guessing they were pre brined?

Didn't seem like it. The chops didn't seem "wet", and didn't run a lot of juice while on the egg. Possible though.

Pork chops are definitely NOT bigger in Texas. Brining makes a huge difference.

Pork here is a little sad - this is beef country. Nothing I've had here comes close to the pork we used to get in Iowa. And don't get me started on the corn over here.

@minniemoh - man, have I missed pork chops. A couple of recent pork chop threads didn't help either. But these chops were seriously tender.

@DMW - something like that :) we were playing juggle the baby trying to get different things done around the house. Family is coming in to visit this weekend. Didn't get nearly half as much done as we wanted to .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Not sure what type of chop you prefer, but I like loin chops and I've found that its usually easy to find whole pork loins on sale at least once a month. I buy those and then simply slice as thick as I like. I usually cut half into chops and then either cook other half as a roast or cure it for canadian bacon.

Little Rock, AR