Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Needed a Break (Ribs!)

SJ21XDC
SJ21XDC Posts: 235
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum

Well after 65+ hours of grinding & polishing the concrete for the egg's new home, I decided to take a break and do some cooking.  Left work around noon and picked up a couple racks of St Louis ribs and some chicken breasts.  Did the ribs with mustard (1) with Yardbird Rub & (1) with Bone Suckin Rub.  Did (2) breasts with Bone Suckin Rub (2) with Kick-N-Chicken and (1) with Yardbird.  Set the BGE up, raised direct @ 350.  Side note, I dumped the last of my BGE lump on the existing lump and it must have had a lot of charcoal dust - I've never seen so much smoke - I was afraid the neighbors were going to call the fire department :)  After approximately 40 minutes the smoke finely got right.  Put the ribs on and let them go for approx. 1 1/2 hours then put the chicken on.  Checked the chicken 20 minutes later and they were already @ 170 so I pulled and loosely wrapped in foil.  Sauced the ribs and let go for another 20 minutes.  Not sure which ribs I liked better, but both were a big hit with the family, including our dog, who's learned the art of begging since I got the Egg!

I also tried a couple of tricks I saw on youtube.  First was to put corn in the microwave for 4 min per ear / cut the butt end and slide the corn out of the husk (no silk).  This was a good trick and the corn tasted great with a little butter and salt.  The second was slicing a watermelon by 1st cutting in half, 2nd sticking the knife through the rhine and cutting several horizontal cuts inside the melon, 3rd cutting along the inside of the rhine (like a bowl), then several cuts perpendicular to each other in the melon and finally dumping in a bowl.  Another great trick, quick, easy and no mess!

Anyway, it was nice getting to play with the egg again and hopefully will be done with it's new home in a couple of weeks!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

Comments