Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LOOFTLIGHTER... GET ONE!!!

I recently went to an egg demo class and was sold on this product. I normally use the paraffin starter cubes which can take up to 10-15 mins to get a good fire going. LOOFTLIGHTER does the same thing in about 90 seconds.

Keep your starter cubes around for a rainy day, but if you use your egg a lot, the LOOFTLIGHTER will pay for itself in time and money.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Raise you one weed burner: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    This looks like more fun!! :P

http://youtu.be/-y_XzPUjcWY
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • wearend93
    wearend93 Posts: 12
    That works, too. Definitely more style points when a blow torch is in the mix.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

$70? I'll keep my cheapo weed burner.

P.S. Don't melt your cord.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:

$70? I'll keep my cheapo weed burner.

P.S. Don't melt your cord.

It's 40 at the W-S outlet. Same price as my MAPP set-up. 
  • Griffin
    Oh. I just googled it real quick and that's what a bunch of sites had it for. 40 is more reasonable, I suppose.

Rowlett, Texas

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited July 2014

wearend93 said:
    I recently went to an egg demo class and was sold on this product. I normally use the paraffin starter cubes which can take up to 10-15 mins to get a good fire going. LOOFTLIGHTER does the same thing in about 90 seconds. Keep your starter cubes around for a rainy day, but if you use your egg a lot, the LOOFTLIGHTER will pay for itself in time and money.
    No thank you!  I will keep my weed burner and propane tank.  Doesn't need electricity, and gets the fire going as fast if not faster. 

Not sure what people hesitance is on the weed burners.  Oh well...

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I just bought one yesterday for $42

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • wearend93
    wearend93 Posts: 12
    LOOFTLIGHTER comes w/ a 10' cord. Once there is a spark, u hold the lighter above the coals, so no chance of melting the cord.

I guess I like the idea of a clean starting method without use of lighter fluids or propane. That said, I doubt that flame thrower would introduce propane taste, and and could be used in rainy weather. Comes down to personal preference.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    This used to be a friendlier place  :-S
    canuckland
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412

+1 for what Mickey said :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    This used to be a friendlier place  :-S
    Don't make me come up there.  >:P

@Canugghead I am of course just joking. I use a heat gun. It has a "cord", but I wouldn't use anything else. 

Each to his own! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Canugghead
    @wearend93 - I got one for 'free' when it first came out (about $100 in GWN) ... redeemed my eggfest cooks appreciation gift certificate for it. The first one died after few months, but the second one (warranty replacement) is still going strong after almost two years.

One lesson I learned is to HOLD ON to the power switch continuously until all spots are lit.  I'm convinced the repeated on/off power surges killed the first one prematurely.  A friend told me if it dies again, I should take it apart and look for a blown fuse.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    @johnkitchens - lol I was joking too!  you're welcome to come up and attend Niagara fest Aug 17 my friend!

Edit: after trying many different ways to light, I've settled on starting the sparks instantly with my large butane torch (also use it for searing SV meat), followed by an old hair dryer or Looftlighter.
    canuckland
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    They both seem like good ideas, but I still like paper towel and oil method. Simple man here.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • johnkitchens
    @Cunugghead I would love to attend that fest. I can't make it, but I would like to. I could escape some of this stifling heat. 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    When I bought my egg I was talked in to buying a looftlighter (among other things I probably didn't need). I've actually enjoyed having it so far as it does a good job getting my egg up to temp pretty quickly. I will keep it until it dies and then make the decision on what to use next. Just a heads up that William Sonoma Outlet had them priced below $40 if I remember correctly. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Griffin
    MeTed said:
    They both seem like good ideas, but I still like paper towel and oil method. Simple man here.
    I still use that method when lighting my mini. Just don't like taking the weed burner to it. Overkill and slightly scary. Plus the dome heats up way to quick.

Rowlett, Texas

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    With all the talk about fires on decks I would never use a weed burner. I have watched people light eggs with them and see lit embers flying everywhere.
  • johnkitchens
    I have embers flying everywhere with my heat gun. They hurt when they land on you. One landed on my table and put a nice little burnt spot on it. 

I don't like the getting burnt part, but I like the speed at which I am lit and ready to cook. 

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    I just go down to the hardware store and but an electric lighter, 15 bucks. It's good for about a hundred fires before the element burns out. Does a great job, I think.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    MAPP is my style!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I use plutonium.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,823
    Word on the street is that WWII flamethrowers also get the job done. Let's cook up some Nazis!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I like my electric as well.  I plug it in, and walk away to begin prepping food and stuff.  I set the timer on the oven in the house so I don't forget to unplug it and remove it in 7 minutes.  Flamethrowers, looftlighters, weed burners, and propane torches may work faster, but you have to be present for those couple of minutes working it.  I like my hands off method.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,352
    I like using the BGE starters but at the rate I cook on the egg it adds up. Looking at other options.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    MeTed said:

Ditto
  • Mkadilla
    Mkadilla Posts: 38
    I bought a Looftlighter on the advice of the salesperson when buying the BGE. It works as advertised, but it can take a little while to get the coals going IMO. I later went to Home Depot to get a MAPP torch (2 tanks and 1 hose nozzle). I have not used the Looft since.

After 20-30 cooks, I am still on the first of two regular-sized MAPP tanks. 1-2 minutes max to get the coals going. Very predictable and convenient.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,528
    Dobie said:
    I like using the BGE starters but at the rate I cook on the egg it adds up. Looking at other options.
    I buy Rutland Safe Lite they come 144 squares in a box and get them on Amazon. I can't remember the exact price but I think a box is about $19.00. They are exactly the same as the BGE ones.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,352
    @johnmitchell‌ that looks like the more cost effective solution I needed, thanks.
    Jacksonville FL