Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo2

Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,352
OK I am about to pull the trigger on a PSWoo2 and wanted to run it by the Eggheads here. I'm interested to see the benefits of cooking at the felt line and this looks like the ticket. Also like the ease of pulling the whole PS and grid out as one unit to either add fuel / wood or more likely switch from indirect / direct set up. I don't cook for more than about 4-5 people so I doubt I would see much benefit to the full scale adjustable rig. I also would like to continue to use the plate setter I am already invested in. I'm not looking for home made work arounds to raise the grid but appreciate the ingenuity some have used to do it. I'm also sticking with the stainless grid not CI.  I guess at this point based on what I detailed above is this the best accessory to do the job?
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yes I enjoyed mine, I since moved on sold it and purchased the AR setup. But the woo was great.
    Seattle, WA
  • Dobie
    @SkinnyV what made you upgrade? Was it the ability to have multiple layers and extra grid space for larger cooks or something else?
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Based on those parameters, I think it's you're only option.

LBGE

BTFU!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have the Woo2 on my Medium and it is prefect for cooking at the felt line.  I am assuming you have a Large.   I have the AR for my Large..  On the Large I use the AR to cook at the felt line and above with the Extended rig I can double my cooking area of the large and have several options for the height above the coals.  If you are only cooking for 4-5 then the Woo2 is perfect. One Spatchcocked chicken direct at the felt line and you will decide you made an excellent purchase!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Dobie
    @jhl192 thanks for the feedback and yes I have a large egg. I just dont want to buy the Woo2 only later to have overlooked some other reason to get the AR from the start.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Dobie said:

@SkinnyV what made you upgrade? Was it the ability to have multiple layers and extra grid space for larger cooks or something else?

Better setup for more food, cleaner look. I was using the woo with the $20 grid extender bought on here. I upgraded despite having the plate setter.
    I like the oval racks and rib setup also. I did a few cooks with family visiting and to be honest it ptetty much paid for itself already. Most cooks are just my family of 4 but the flexibility is nice
    Seattle, WA
  • wearend93
    wearend93 Posts: 12
    I recently upgraded to an XL Egg. First accessory I purchased was the Woo. Just sold my PSWoo3 for large to a lucky guy for 25% off CGS prices. One of the best features of Woo on L Egg is being able to pull plate setter and grid out as one unit by the convenient handles. Bummed that XL does not have this capability. BTW, Woo can easily be stored inside egg w/ plate setter. Bottom line... Woo is a MUST HAVE for any egg.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    One more comment that may or may not pertain to you.  I think @SkinnyV refers to it.  The large Platesetter is about 4 inches smaller in diameter that  the length of a full rack of ribs.  Therefore if you put a full rack of ribs or two spatchcocked chickens or a large brisket over the platesetter your ends are basically cooking direct.  They will end up overcooked compared to the rest of the food.  The AR Ribs and Brisket Combo comes with a oval stone is large enough to protect a full brisket, rack of ribs or 2 spatchcocked chickens for that matter.    Therefore you don't have to cut you ribs or brisket to get true indirect cooking.  This may not matter to you but you do get a more consistent cook with the larger oval stone.     
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Dobie
    @JHL192 that's good info and what kind of feedback I'm looking for from users experienced with these options.  Decisions, decisions....
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Ordered the LPSWoo2 and will report back after a couple cooks on how I like it. My cheap digital thermometer took a dive also so I ordered a ThermoPop. Sorry ThermoPen fans I got the Woo and the Pop combined for less than a Pen, gotta have beer money ya know....   
    Jacksonville FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I have a woo coming as well. I just figured it was about time to quit looking half assed using fire bricks.
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    I got the Woo2 because I already had the plate setter. I haven't noticed a difference with indirect cooks but it is nice if you need to take everything out to re-light a fire. I also think it is nice when you want to cook something like bone-in chickens at a high heat but farther away from the fire. All in all I think it will be worth the $50 or so.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Before I order one I need to know do I put the platesetter in legs up, then the PSwoo2 on the legs, then my grid on the woo, and it will be at the felt line?
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Dobie
    @MeTed here is a pic from the store site. Legs up inside the Woo.

Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    edited July 2014
    another pic

Jacksonville FL
  • MeTed
    Thanks @Dobie that makes it very clear. I am going to order one now.
    Belleville, Michigan

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    The platesetter fits into the PSWoo2 and I put it in legs up like you would for any indirect cook.  The metal ring of the PSWoo2 holds the platesetter in place and the metal rings sits on the ceramic ring (brain fart as I can't think of the name of that ring) inside the Egg.  The grid sits on the top of the PSWoo2's top metal ring.  You could probably set the platesetter in legs down in the PSWoo2, but I've never actually tried it.

I like the PSWoo2 and platesetter combo.  Also use the spider and 13" cast iron grid for searing close to the coals.  Also have a grid extender (sold by someone else) that allows for a second swinging grid to be added to the main grid.  

I looked into the adjustable rig and liked the versatility and the oval stone for better indirect for briskets and ribs.  But with the above setup I still have plenty of room with the second level, can sear close to the coals, do raised direct and easily lift out the platesetter.  

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Dobie said:
    @MeTed here is a pic from the store site. Legs up inside the Woo.

Pictures are quite nice too!
  • MeTed
    Thanks @HDmstng good info I am going to order a spider too. I am really happy right now, I get to order new stuff for the Egg. :))
    Belleville, Michigan

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I am missing something here. When I use my Platesetter legs up, and then put the grate on top of it, the grid ends up right around the felt line. Thinking about it that way, I am trying to figure out the advantage of using the Woo and PlateSetter together. FYI, I do have the Woo3 and love it for raised cooks. I just never thought to use with a PlateSetter.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I beleive that the Woo was designed primarily for raised direct, it just happens to be a nice added feature that the platesetter fits and is easily removed using the handles
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • MeTed
    @BuckeyeBob, the reason I would like it is I could lift the grid and platesetter out at the same time, and to use it indirect, Besides it is a new toy. I think it will be useful.
    Belleville, Michigan

• SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    The Woo is the best Egg accessory that I have purchased, right up there with my Looftlighter.  The Woo lives in my my LBGE.  I've only cooked once without it and that was when I direct cooked some burgers and sausages and wanted a good sear/crust on the burgers. 
    Jax, FL
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited July 2014
    I wish they would name thing so they make sense. When I bought my AR I was baffled by the names. What does Woo mean? but I love my AR.
    Aurora,OH
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @BuckeyeBob,  Do you have an older egg?  My understanding is that the old eggs are 1" shorter - so the grid will be at the felt line when using a platesetter.  For newer eggs the grid will be about 1" below the felt line when using the platesetter.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    @jtcBoynton‌ That's interesting. I bought my a Egg in February of 2012 so about 2 1/2 years ago and wasn't sure how to classify as "older". I did not know there was a difference. And by the way, I don't have any issue with the Woo. I use mine all the time and am actually using as we speak. I was more just curious on how people use it in case I was missing something.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Sounds like you have a young one.  I am too new to the egg world to have a good understanding of all the design changes over the years.  But based on the features and dimensions that the eggs come with now, I have an older egg. Most noticeable difference is that it has the suitcase hinges. You can see the grid is up just above the felt line when using the platesetter. The folks at the Ceramic Grill Store indicate that the distance from the top of the fire ring to the felt is about 4 1/4 inches and the PSWoo2 is designed to fit this. My egg only has about 3 1/4 inches.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I have the Woo, and also just got the adjustable rig about a month ago. I like the Woo alot, easy to work with, nice level at the felt line, and easy to do tri-tips as a reverse sear. I would definitely recommend one. Its nice being able to pull everything out to add wood.

I also like my adjustable rig, although I am still "learning" with it. On the top level, the couple of chicken cooks that I have done, the chicken seems to have been getting done earlier than I am used to. I should probably back the temperature down 25 degrees or so from what I am used to. I didn't need the AR, since I normally cook for only 2. But I got it anyway. So far, I probably like the Woo more, and see myself using the Woo more.

I did get the BGE brand second level and used it once. Threw it out afterwards, it tilted and was a PIA.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have the woo3 that had the attached spider. I cut the spider loose and now use both for reverse sears. It is so easy and safe to grab the handles and removed grid and PlateSetter at the same time and have access to the CI on the spider.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @Mattman3969 Glad to hear the SS can be cut with no ill-effects. I have a Woo coming for my Small and I'm thinking I might not want the handles on it so I can use it for my wok.

What did you use to cut yours, just a hacksaw?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker