Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Official Chicken Wing Throwdown Post

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

This is the Official Post for the Chicken Wing Throwdown to celebrate National Chicken Wing Day 7/29/14. Post the pics of your chicken wing cook here.

The deadline for posting pictures ends at 11:59PM on 7/30 (Wednesday).

To vote hit like for your favorite picture (only like one picture please, multiple likes by any person will have all his votes discarded).

We'll wrap up voting by 11:59PM on 7/31 (Thursday) and announce a winner on 8/1 (Friday).

Please, don't make any comments and please, please, please only vote once by hitting the like button on your favorite picture.

The winner will get bragging rights, whatever that is worth. Nothing more and nothing less. So start posting pics of your chicken wings. Let's see them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,823

Since there are no posts yet, I'm going to go ahead and interject this question:

Do the wings have to be cooked between now and the deadline, or are past wings OK?  If so, how far back?
    NOLA
  • Griffin
    Hmmm. I'd say let's make it current. I've got a database full of old wing cooks to choose from. That wouldn't be fair.

Rowlett, Texas

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I wont be able to meet the deadline, but I will follow this post and vote.  You will get my vote if they look 1) spicy 2) crunchy 3) saucy . . .   VOTE OR DIE.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,718
    Lets do it!!  I picked up my wings last night. Now to get creative!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Griffin
    edited July 2014

OK FOLKS. NO MORE COMMENTS HERE. THIS THREAD IS JUST FOR PICTURES OF WINGS. THANK YOU.

Rowlett, Texas

• Thatgrimguy
    I have some ideas for something summery and different

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    IT HAS BEGUN!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bump
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

I bought $3 Cafe wings in Atlanta. 

They are still the best but I am perfecting my BGE wings as football approaches. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    Those are the smallest tater tots I've ever seen, that wing dwarfs them!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Here's my entry. The recipe originated from the nibblemethis blog, but brought to our attn. care of @Griffin‌, rub being yardbirds. image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Honey Sriracha Wings, recipe here:

And of course what goes better with wings than pizza. BBQ Pulled Pork at my son's request.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Here's my entry. Wings rubbed with DP Tsunami Spin and on the Egg at 350 indirect.image
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • gpsegg
    Both Wings and Chef cooking!image
    George
  • gpsegg
    Plated with mixture of Charlston's own Sticky Fingers Sauce, Franks Hot Sauce and butter!

George
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Mickey. ..chicken wings. ..not cali wings
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dammit,got called out of town today. Just got home and butcher is closed. When da shiznet end

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Asian inspired wings made with jalapeño jelly, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and fish sauce. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Mickey‌ Do you mind sharing the sauce recipe? Those look really good...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    RedSkip said:
    @Mickey‌ Do you mind sharing the sauce recipe? Those look really good...

Started with coffee run and last 15 mins a 50/50 mix of this: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,653

Mild smokey wings. 4 year old ate 5 and the almost 2 year old ate 2.5

LBGE

BTFU!

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Ty sir.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Ok, got mine done!  Blackberry Jam Sweet, Spicy, Tangy Wangs!  Made this a long time ago with stuff in the cabinet and wanted to repeat it. Found a recipe that I loosely followed and it was outstanding. A bit sweet, next time I'll add more cayenne pepper.

Made the base out of this, reduced it down with butter and maple syrup. Added ginger, cayenne pepper, Crushed red pepper, S/P, Worcestershire, Siracha and bee pollen.  I let that simmer for about 2 hours and reduce while I got the grill ready and smoked the wings.

On the wings I put salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Smoked at 350 indirect

I dusted some with red pepper flakes and some with toasted sesame seeds. They both added some interesting dynamics. The flavor was great, just a bit sweet.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704

Daaayyuuuummm! Who knew there were all these closet food photographers on here??? I've almost eaten my screen a few times already!

Bravo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Wings, tenderloin, Caesarimage
  • Not much to speak of but figured I might as well put my pics up anyway. Just your basic indirect/finished direct with Swamp Venom.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN