Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for large party

ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
I need some EGGadvice. I'm having roughly 45 folks for dinner in a couple of weeks to celebrate the wife's 40th birthday. She has no idea, at least not yet. I'm used to cooking for big groups on a weber or barrel smoker and usually default to butts. But this being my wife's "big un", her entire family coming from out of town, my family in attendance as well, friends, etc etc. AND me new to egging I want to make it special. I'm thinking some whole beef tenderloins, about 1/2lb per person? I've done some reading on the forum and have some good ideas thanks to all the former tenderloin posts. I really don't want to ruin $300 worth of meat and have to order pizza for 45. Any special advice for a high-end dinner for lots of folks? Amount of meat needed? I really like the reverse sears I see out here. Thanks all.

Later,
KS
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    I'm very new to this, so no advice.  But I will keep you in my prayers. You'll probably need them lol.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777
    Whole tenderloins are a pretty easy cook.  I've never done more than 2 on my egg, but I did about 40 pounds on a friend's CharGriller Kamado once.  The pic is attached.  We took it to 115 internal then seared it on a hot Weber kettle.  I've made the mistake of overcooking many times so please don't do that.  When the temp starts rising it will rise fairly quickly once it hits about 100 internal.  The sear is really optional.  If you just cook it to 120 - 125 internal, you will have ends (particularly the skinny end) that are medium well and a the middle of each tenderloin will be rare to medium rare, so there is something for everyone.  For my wife, I always pull one around 115.  It will warm up 10 degrees after you pull it.  Wood smoke is not your friend.  I use only charcoal, but a little wood would be OK.   The meat is the star.  The cooking temp isn't that important if you monitor the meat temp.  Anywhere between 250 and 350 will be good.  I like about 300.  I hope that helps. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Beef Tenderloin is Great, also consider Pork Loin as well as Pork Tenderloin. I have also done several whole Ribeyes as well as New York Strips and then carved them as I go... Your guests are in for a treat!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I agree with Foghorn. I have over cooked them too. When there are a lot of people around it's easy to get distracted and it doesn't take long for them to go from fantastic to OH I wish I would have pulled sooner. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !