Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Been Busy (Probably way too many pics)

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Mrs. G has been out of town since last Thursday and as some of you may know, when she is out of town I tend to be pretty busy. With no distractions, I can focus all my energy on doing things I want to do. Plus, it keeps me out of trouble.

Started off by bottling a batch of saison Friday. Took a sip or two of it when I grabbed a sample for the Final Gravity test and this might be my best batch of beer yet! :))

Doesn't everybody's closet contain cases of beer?

Saturday, I brewed up 5 gallons of an IPA following Papazain's recipe. Then I got bored and brewed up a gallon batch of Wittbier just for the hell of it on Sunday. I really need to get that one down as its one of Stacie's favorite types of beer and I want to make sure to have some quality stuff on hand come January when she can drink again. Isn't that little guy cute? Not sure doing one gallon batches is really worth the effort except to experiment.

Decided I needed to clean out the freezer while she was gone. Low and behold, I found some deer meat. How did I forget about that? Took the front shoulder, mixed it up 50/50 with some pork butt and made 4 lbs of breakfast sausage. Kept it bulk as I really didn't feel like stuffing links.

Mighty tasty if I do say so. Always fry up a test patty and adjust seasonings as necessary.

When I went to the store to get pork butt, I wasn't sure how much to get. Forgot to weigh out the venison. I knew a whole butt was going to be too much. I spotted a cut that I didn't have any experience with. It wasn't country style ribs, looked more like a section of the butt (I forget the name that was on it). Kinda more like a chuck. Grabbed that, but not knowing how much it would weigh after I deboned it, I grabbed a small package of country style ribs. Country style ribs are priced ridiculously, BTW. Really? You cut a butt into a few strips and mark it up a coupla extra dollars a pound? I digress.

Well, turns out I didn't need those 3 strips of country style ribs, but I wasn't going to let them go to waste. Thanks to some advice from @Dyal_SC and reading up on the forum (the search button does work Noobies), I had a plan. Rubbed down with a mixture of rubs, went indirect on the mini at 350 with some hickory for smoke.

After about 40 minutes or so, I pulled them off, cut them up a bit, poured some Famous Daves Texas sauce on and put them back on along with some frozen meatballs I found in the freezer. I'da made MOINK balls, but we were out of bacon!! Shocker. :((

Let 'em go another 20 minutes or so, then pulled and put on direct to carmelize them up a bit.

And the meatballs with some sauce

By this time, I was getting hungry, as you can well imagine. Plated it up with some loaded baked potato salad and some beans. So what if they came out of a can? I doctored them up a bit! Shoot. Can't please anybody around here. They were good enough for some bachelor food.

Damn fine meal if I do say so myself. Oh...you spotted that hunk o' meat in the center of the plate. That was just a chunk of Bambi's shoulder. Decided to see what it would taste like if I just S & P'ed some up and threw it on the grill hot and fast. I think that was my favorite bit of the whole dinner. Good eats.

I got a whole mess of chicken wings thawing out in the fridge for tonight. Can't wait. Happy Natl. Chicken Wing Day! Well, I better get some work done before the boss shows up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I knew I liked you. Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Boy you were busy!  Sounds like you occupied your time nicely though.  Good grub and suds man.  Need to work on inventory management a little though....
    :D
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin

@Mickey the feeling is mutual, though I know you like Stacie better.

@tarheelmatt Thanks. I know what you mean. How did I miss having a whole front deer quarter in the freezer. Don't tell anybody, but there's also a rear quarter in there. Might be time to replenish my supply of jalapeno cheese sausage.

Rowlett, Texas

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @griffin, I was only teasing you about the bacon.    Not really thinking about the other goodies.  I bet the meat could have went a lot longer.  Still looked fresh to me.  Vacuum sealing is a great thing. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Griffin said:

@Mickey the feeling is mutual, though I know you like Stacie better.

@tarheelmatt Thanks. I know what you mean. How did I miss having a whole front deer quarter in the freezer. Don't tell anybody, but there's also a rear quarter in there. Might be time to replenish my supply of jalapeno cheese sausage.

Sorry, but that's a given buddy. Nice cook Griff. Are you leading us in wing day?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    I wish my closet looked like yours. And your plate.

Let me know when she's out of town next time and I'll move in for a few days to help drink your beer and eat your food :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice job Griff, too much coffee?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    That looks like the way a man should spend his time away from his wife.   =D>  Looking at that sausage picture makes me want to get my own grinder.  That might be the purtiest sausage patty I've ever seen.  Oh and +1 on the search button.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Griffin

@tarheelmatt there's plenty of bacon...in the freezer. :( Both store bought and home smoked. It was just frozen.

@Mickey I don't know what leading entails, but I'll be cooking some. Yes, you may cook turkey wings if ya got 'em.

@caliking sure, no problem. Although I think this Vegas show is the last one for her for the season (She did Dallas, Atlanta and then Vegas). I think next season starts in late January or February, but doubt she'll go due to the new baby.

@saluki2007 Thank you, Sir. You are too kind. I've got our breakfast sausage recipe down now after a countless batches. Good stuff. And I know what is in it, unlike sotre bought. Using venison instead 100% pork also cuts down on the amount of fat content.

Rowlett, Texas

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    That all looks great!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Damn good work Griffin!  I'm not nearly that productive when the fam is out of town.  I tend to veg out. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    good work!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Griffin
    cazzy said:
    Damn good work Griffin!  I'm not nearly that productive when the fam is out of town.  I tend to veg out.
    Sometimes I do that as well. Plenty of bourbon and beer was consumed during the process.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,352
    BBQ and brew master, you have skills sir!
    Jacksonville FL
  • Griffin
    Thanks @Dobie. You are too kind. Like I've said before, there are people here who have forgotten more about brewing than I know. Only been doing it a year now but each batch is getting better and better. If you can brew tea, you can berw beer. Or so they say.

Rowlett, Texas

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Damn, busy is an understatment. Looks like some fine bachelor food. I need to get my wife a job that lets her travel for weeks at a time.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    you need to find some bigger bottles
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    LOL. I like using bigger bottles, but all my big bottles are currently tied up in the closet full of beer.  Guess I need to go to the store and get some. Wish kegging was an option for me, but not right now.

Rowlett, Texas

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    Griffin said:
    LOL. I like using bigger bottles, but all my big bottles are currently tied up in the closet full of beer.  Guess I need to go to the store and get some. Wish kegging was an option for me, but not right now.
    dont know if its possible in your area but i went to a recycling distribution center here maybe 20 or so years ago  and they gave me about a  dozen cases of quart bottles
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it