Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best pork chop I've ever had

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,777

I had an opportunity for a guys' night so I invited a friend over and got my butcher to cut me some two bone pork chops - they weighed 2.4 pounds combined.  Coated them lightly with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk.  Set my XL up for indirect heat with a platesetter in place.  My thermometer on my egg is broken, but based on how I set my vents it was around 325 - 350F.  I pulled them off when the internal temp reached 145.  Because it was just two guys we had no veggies or sides and ate off of paper plates.  We had brownie bites for dessert.  It was a great meal.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Looks good from here.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Forgive me, I couldn't help it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Chops? Those look like baby roasts! :)

Very nice. I like how you think.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Wow. Those are very good looking man
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Wow... those are some serious chops!
    They look nice and juicy... I love good pork, but chops can be easy to dry out.
    Nice job my friend.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,013
    Nicely done! Nothin wrong with a pork chop and brownie bites for man night. Actually, it sounds perfect.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks outstanding to say the least. Good job!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Wow, definitely the best thing posted today! Well done sir!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

Are those two boners! Rock On... I'll have what there having!

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Phenomenal.  You don't need no stinkin' dome thermometer for that kind of cook.  Just an instant read.  Or do some exploratory surgery to check the internal color when it feels done.
    Looks porkolicious :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Foghorn
    Thanks to all for the kind words. And @travisstrick‌. I actually woke up the morning after this cook thinking the same thing. This may have been better than any steak I've ever had. With my wife out of town this week I'll probably do it again this Friday when an old friend is coming in for the weekend - although I may not hit the temp target as precisely given how much beer will be involved.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Have you had Perry's pork chop? One of the best things I have eaten in a restaurant. 2-3 bone chop served as 3 cuts, and is phenomenal IMO.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Looks awesome.  Chops appear to be juicy too!  I love a nicley executed Poke chop. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    caliking said:
    Have you had Perry's pork chop? One of the best things I have eaten in a restaurant. 2-3 bone chop served as 3 cuts, and is phenomenal IMO.

No, but I've heard enough about it that I had it somewhat in mind when I did this cook.

And @nolaegghead, I used my thermopen to hit the temp target.  One of the great advantages of cooking on an egg is that after you have used it enough, you know how to set it to get into a temp range.  However, it is good to be flexible.  When I started the cook, I was thinking I might take them off at 135 and then do a reverse sear, but as the grill marks started showing up on them I decided the formal sear was unnecessary and would probably actually make them less tasty by drying them out on the edges, so I just left them on the egg to 145 and chowed down.

I'm not sure about the brownie bites as a great pairing.  For Friday I am torn between baklava and apple pie... maybe I'll get both.

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    :-bd Dang Foggie, those look the bomb. You got some chops when it comes to chops. =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267

nice job!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Foghorn
    edited July 2014
    Thanks @Griffin and @boochsr71‌. I attribute my success to 1) great meat selection (thanks largely to what I have learned here), 2) some beginner's luck as it was the first time I have ever tried chops like this, and 3) staying sober as I was with a friend who has been sober for 25 years so when we hang out we drink non-alcoholic beers together. I doubt I'll ever top this cook. I can only hope to match it going forward.

San Antonio, TX

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited July 2014
    Man I need toy try some of those. They look so good!
    Can you give me an idea of how long it took to get to internal temp of 145?
    You' re goopin up your plate-setter. You might want to cover it with foil and it'll stay clean.
    Forgive me Im somewhat of a neat freak.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Foghorn
    @TigerTony, I'm not exactly sure how long it took, but it was somewhere around 40 minutes.
    As for the platesetter, I think on this cook it played to my benefit as the burning fat drippings - which were relatively minimal - gave me the "sear" without any real acrid smoke component. That is just more evidence that this was beginner's luck as I never could have planned that.

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I do my chops indirect just like that, they turn our tender and juicy every time. Nice job.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Those look awesome! Nicely done. Ill have to agree as well, a properly cooked chop like that > steak 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Foghorn
    JRWhitee said:
    I do my chops indirect just like that, they turn our tender and juicy every time. Nice job.
    Thanks.  I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't need a sear after only cooking indirectly.

San Antonio, TX

• Man, those look amazing.  I love to do single rib chops. I do reverse sear them, but your 'game time call' to skip the sear was a good move.

My only thought was to possibly brine them next time to get some salt into the interior of those enormous chops. 

I'm gonna try and score some double rib chops now.

Thanks for posting.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2014
    Just a thought from past cooks. I have found that sliced apples, Texas sweet onions, garlic, sage, oregano, olive oil, white wine, and chicken broth, make a perfect topping for pork chops. I throw the veggies on in a cast iron pan, prior to the chops to get them good and tender. Not real difficult, and makes a great chop even more so. Here are a few pics.  I do bone in loins all the time, and after your post I think I am going to try the super thick cut double bone chops in a future cook. 
  • Foghorn
    @keepervodeflame‌, that looks awesome. The next time I cook this with womenfolk around I may have to do that. What kind of apples do you use?

San Antonio, TX

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2014
    Foghorn,

Why wait for the women folk, this is not sissy food. My 6'5'' BIL who played center for the Oregon Ducks loves this on pork chops or bone in pork roast and requests it for his birthday dinner every year. By definition, anything cooked in cast iron over charcoal or wood is man food IMO. 

I use Honey Crisp, Gala, or Kiku. I have also used Granny Smiths. Pretty much any kind will produce great results, I usually just grab what ever we have in the fruit bowl.  The apples do really well with a savory seasoning blend, like Montreal steak, or my favorite Montreal roasted garlic and herb. I use fresh sage chiffonade, and usually toss in any other savory herbs that I have in the garden (rosemary, thyme, oregano). I put olive oil and some white wine and chicken broth, but you could easily use beer, as well. Usually cooks at 350 or so for 20 or 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and the onions are translucent. I put the pan on the grate right next to the chops.  Enjoy.