Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Hot Links?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I have to do 30 pounds of them for a company picnic.  I have never done them before but I am guessing it should be no different than doing brats.  Any suggestions?  Do I cook them direct or indirect?  Rub or no rub?  What about temp?  Thanks for your help!  I want this cook to go well or forever face ridicule from coworkers!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2014
    Options

We use "Moo and Oink" brand hot links. The unhealthiest (and tastiest) casing-embraced substance known to mankind. 

I do 'em indirect at about 400 degrees.  No particular reason - I grill 'most everything slow.

If you must have grill marks, do them direct.  Grill marks won't make them taste better - just kinda purty, is all.

As for rub . . . that's like putting a nightgown on Beyoncé.

What would be the point?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

If they are already pre-cooked I find that grilling direct @ 350 or so, gives a better snap on the casings.image

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options

We use "Moo and Oink" brand hot links. The unhealthiest (and tastiest) casing-embraced substance known to mankind. 

I do 'em indirect at about 400 degrees.  No particular reason - I grill 'most everything slow.

If you must have grill marks, do them direct.  Grill marks won't make them taste better - just kinda purty, is all.

As for rub . . . that's like putting a nightgown on Beyoncé.

What would be the point?

Did you cook them to a certain temp or just go by "feel"?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    pre-cooked or raw. Gonna make a huge difference on how you approach it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've done Kielbasa at 250-275 for 2-3 hours with apple wood for smoke indirect. I went basically on color to know when they are done. No they were raw so if you are using cooked you cook time will be less. Sausage doesn't take to long.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2014
    Options
    QDude said:
     Did you cook them to a certain temp or just go by "feel"?

Sorry, QDude,

I'm pretty sure I've never used a thermothingy on sausage of any type. 

Just before the casing is about to pop . . . pull 'em. 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    My first try at raw Italian sausage I went low and slow to capture the smoke, the meat itself was great however the casing was tough.  
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -