Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs, creamed corn and baked beans

Thanks for the baked beans suggestion the other day when I was searching for sides.

The baby backs were slightly under cooked because I had to crowd them in, but to the guests who don't know what a done rib is like, they loved it.

The creamed corn was delicious, but the star was the baked beans. First time making them and they were outstanding. Even better today.

I know, this thread is useless without pics so here it is.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Was there a recipe that you followed? I have been wanting start making my own bbq beans , but just never really knew where to start.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Dried Navy Beans
    1 white onion
    1 pound ground meat
    1 green bell pepper (roasted)
    2 jalapeños (roasted)
    1 pound bacon
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 cup brown sugar
    Molasses
    1/4 cup mustard
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp liquid smoke
    1 tbs Texas Pete Hot Sauce
    1 tbs Worcestershite
    Beef broth
    1/2 tsp salt 
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup ketchup

Wash beens and let soak, then drain and rinse under cold water.

Brown meat and add to pan with beans

Dice onion and bell pepper and add to pan

Chop bacon and slightly brown and then add to pan

Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, garlic powder, liquid smoke, hot sauce, worchetershire and beef broth. Stir to ix and cover with foil.

Bake at 300 degrees for 5 hours. At 3 hour mark stir and add salt to taste, black pepper and ketchup.

Uncover and bake at 250 until beans are tender. ~2 hours

LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a winner to me. Thanks for posting the bean recipe.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    This might be a stupid question, but did you "bake" the beans in the egg or in the oven? 
    Dallas, TX
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    A good looking dinner to share....
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I would have done them on the egg if j had room or a second egg. But I don't so I liquid smoked it in the oven.
  • KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    @tamu2009 I tried your bean recipe this weekend. They were awesome. The Dutch oven was scraped clean from everyone wanting seconds. Thanks for posting the recipe.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • @kswoll, thanks for the compliment. I was extremely pleased with them and so was everyone else. Next time I'll use more pork and bacon.