Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try with Skirt Steak and maybe my Last

Options
I marinaded the skirt steak in teriyaki sauce over night and the flavor was good, but was tough. I cooked it at 400°-500° direct about 3 to 4 minutes a side. It was a little tough. I liked it, but the better half said it would be the last time. I meant to get flank steak and got skirt steak. I cooked it to 145 to 160 and assumed it was done. What temp should I have cooked it too? Here are some photos. I will eat the leftovers though.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I used skirt one time too and found it tough. Liked flank and flat iron a lot better. Think I liked the flat iron the best.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options

Steak is what we make fajitas with down by the border. You need to make sure you slice against the grain and typically cook them until well done. Teriyaki fajitas sound like an interesting fusion…

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    Options
    did you get the inside or outside skirt?
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I love skirt, I cook to about 130 and make sure to slice against the grain. I also like to marinade in a lime- orange garlic mojo and serve with grilled corn tortillas and guacamole.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Skirt needs the hottest fire you can manage (for crust) yet is overcooked, badly, at 145 (it should be at least pink inside, red preferably, like a T-bone).  Just a different cooking technique, wait til "Girl's Night" and practice!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good, more for the rest of us. Never with teriyaki.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Alton brown did skirt steak caveman style and sliced across the grain.  Did not look tough in that preparation.  It is on my list to try.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Do you have a pic of the sliced steak? That may be the problem.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't have a photo of the sliced pieces, but I I did cut against the grain and it was pink on the inside on the thicker sections. It looked medium to me. The thinner sections were a little more tender. Next time I may slice thin and cook in my CI skillet to make fajitas. My wife doesn't do many girls nights out, but I may be able to talk her into the fajitas. I don't know if it is the inside or outside skirt.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    The thinner sections were a little more tender.  

Hmm, this is surprising... 
    :-??

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, but you're not alone.  I love cooking skirt and flank.  For years it was a tough yet flavorful event for me...and then one day it just clicked.   Now it's juicy, tender and delicious.  Every once in a while I get a cut that seems to have more hard fat inside it than the soft fat that melts, but you can cut around that.

I did flank recently and showed it HERE.

That Alton Brown clip is great.  Wow...doesn't get more simple than that.  His meat looked a little rare for me, but seemed tender.

Anyway, don't give up on skirt or flank.  When it clicks for you...wow, awesome cut you won't regret.  And you can make it so quickly.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I cook skirt steak just like I sear a steak. Just long enough to get a good crust on each side and let it rest. Slice (1/4" thick) on the bias against the grain. Always pink in the middle, tender and juicy.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX