Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Question

Options

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I guess all is good since the Rutland police didn't show up and handcuff your ass for permatex abuse :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    I hear ya brother!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Those Rutland guys are pretty perschnickity.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    That's ok. I'm pretty fast!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I doubt that gasket will ever come off
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • SGH
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌
    I was kind of thinking the same thing!'

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The Rutland after tonight's inaugural cook. Worked like a charm!image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I would like to add a final note. The Rutland offers a great amount of cushion if you will for the dome. Far more than the standard felt gasket. You can actually feel the dome sort of sink and settle into the gasket for a perfect air tight seal. My egg held rock solid temps with the new gasket and responded to even slight vent adjustments. Not one wisp of smoke came out from around the gasket area. Not one. If I were to buy a new egg tomorrow the first thing that I would do is strip off the gasket and install a Rutland in is place. No doubt about it or question off it. My only regret is that I didn't install the Rutland sooner. Absolutely 100% satisfied with the results and performance thus far. I highly recommend it to anyone in need of a new gasket.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    And I forgot to say above that the 3M paint stripper recommended by @RRP is a real time saver and makes short work of the old gasket when chucked up in a drill. It does a much better and faster job than a scraper. Takes the old gasket right off with little effort. Wish I would have tried it from the beginning. Oh well live and learn I guess.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I am sincerely sorry if you thought I was harsh about the excess Permatex. Happy egging!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    No sir. I did not think that you was harsh. I agree that I over used the Permatex. Now I hava a better understanding of how much to use if I ever have to install another one.

Status- Standing by.

• pluffmud
    pluffmud Posts: 15
    Options
    SGH, If I may ask, how did you get the gasket surface so clean? I have been gasketless for about three years and my surface is as black as night. I want to install a new gasket but I can't get the surface clean enough to give the adhesive a chance to work.
    "The Lowcountry" (Mt. Pleasant, SC) ~ LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @pluffmud‌
    With this. The wheel is called a 3M paint stripper. I bought it at Walmart for 3 dollars and some change. It does a wonderful job and does not hurt the ceramic at all. It will remove your old gasket in mere minutes. Hope this helps.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    The 3M wheel will make short work of the crud. Mine was awful and it cleaned it up with no effort at all.

Status- Standing by.

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    +1 on the 3M wheel.  I didn't even remove my top when I did my gasket.  One thing that may be extremely obvious that wasn't for me: rip off as much of the old gasket as you can before you try the wheel.  I managed to get a large portion of it off just by pulling on it.  At first I tried taking the wheel directly to the gasket which ended up with felt fuzzballs all over my driveway.  They looked a little like tumbleweeds.  It went much faster once I had pulled up the majority of the gasket.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • SGH
    Options
    @pluffmud‌
    I just wanted to add that the 3M wheel cleaned the ceramic so well that the use of acetone or alcohol was not needed. After using the 3M wheel I simply wiped the rim with a clean cloth to remove the dust. It shined it right up without the use of harsh chemicals and to me that is a good thing.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @pluffmud‌
    If you are installing a new gasket I would recommend contacting RRP and getting a Rutland. You wont be disappointed my friend. And just for reference this is about as good of a adhesive that you can use to secure your gasket to your egg .imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I was recently at an eggfest and spoke with the regional factory representative.  She told me that no gasket is necessary.  People want gaskets so they install them.  I wonder if 3000 year old clay cooking vessels had gaskets.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    @timekpr1 - My brothers egg is about 9 years old and after the original gasket burnt off he has had no gasket what so ever. Last time I was at his house we did the dollar bill test and it was so tight all the way around as you couldn't even pull it out if you had too. He has never tightened a bolt or any other maintenance type thing.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SGH
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌
    Man that is awesome that his will seal tight with no gasket. However I was not so fortunate. My rim has low spots and doesn't sit flush against the dome all the way around. I ran mine months with no gasket but in the end I installed the Rutland to make it air tight. If mine would have sealed with no gasket I probably would have left it bare. But on a side note I do like the cushion that a gasket provides between the base and the dome as I am both rough and clumsy.

Status- Standing by.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I figure part of the purpose of the gasket is to prevent pinching of the temp sensor wires.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    Options
    @Zmokin‌
    It certainly helps with that my friend.^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I've had better luck with the High Que nomex gasket than Rutland.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Maccool‌
    In what way has it been better? I'm always looking for for something better. If I ever need another gasket I would certainly chose it if it's superior to the Rutland. Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Awesome, I was pretty sure it would.. I'll have to contact RRP to see if I can get a few - one for me and a fellow Egger.
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Just as a trial I ran my egg up to 1,200 degrees last night and held it there for a while. The Rutland looks just like it did new out of the box. The heat did not affect it one bit. Hard to ask anymore than that. Wish I would have installed a Rutland the day I bought the egg.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @anzyegg‌ Just as a trial I ran my egg up to 1,200 degrees last night and held it there for a while. The Rutland looks just like it did new out of the box. The heat did not affect it one bit. Hard to ask anymore than that. Wish I would have installed a Rutland the day I bought the egg.
    You won't phase the Rutland until 2,200 degrees!
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    I agree. I put my weed burner in the bottom vent and held the egg at a honest 1,200 degrees for 30 minutes. The Rutland didn't even blink.

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP‌ I agree. I put my weed burner in the bottom vent and held the egg at a honest 1,200 degrees for 30 minutes. The Rutland didn't even blink.
    LOL - you are the new beta test master!
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Maccool‌ In what way has it been better? I'm always looking for for something better. If I ever need another gasket I would certainly chose it if it's superior to the Rutland. Thanks in advance.
    @SGH Despite rigorous prep of the ceramic surface with 3M paint stripper, orbital sander and lots of acetone, I could never get the Rutland to stick. The adhesive would always tend to dry out and eventually the gasket would come off. The High Que gasket just went down with its own peel and stick, although I did spray the edge with a little 3M 77. The gasket has held up really well, and we're talking a lot of 650 degree pizzas here.