Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Question

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I really want this to be the last time that I install a gasket. That being said, is this clean enough or should I keep going. Thanks for any and all input.
@RRP Your thoughts my friend?imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    more than clean enough, I didnt go that clean and mine is just fine. Enjoy!
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    @SkinnyV‌
    That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks my friend. Fixing to glue it on.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I've only used the copper gasket maker for installs but that stuff sticks very well. You will have no problems with your egg that clean.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    @minniemoh
    I'm using this.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    That's cleaner that mine was and I have OCD.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • SGH
    edited July 2014
    Is this the correct Permatex?^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Yes sir, I believe it is.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • SGH
    @TFols‌
    Thank you sir. Here goes then!!

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @SGH‌ thought you already installed a Rutland recently as I recall you scraping the old gasket off. And then Ron advised you to use a paint stripper wheel. Thought you already did this?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I have been in the process. It has rained just about every day since I took the egg apart. This has been the first day with no rain so I'm going for it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I about got it whipped now .

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    My egg has been just sitting idle and took apart since I posted those pics. Been having to cook on the big unit.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    @SGH‌ So your telling me that you've been "in the process" since this http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1538807#Comment_1538807 thread back on 7-8-14?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Yep. Been cooking on my vertical.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    You notice that you haven't saw anything cooked on my egg as of late. The last things I posted was on my vertical for this reason. But the egg will be rolling again for the weekend!!

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    @sgh I figured you had the vertical and at least one more egg. Have you started laying out the permatex ultra copper?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @SGH‌ you're a single egg home?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @SGH‌ Then again w/ the vertical probably don't need another one huh?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Waiting until tonight when the wife is sleeping.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I have a Joe Jr. But I don't think it would be appropriate to post cooks with it on the forum.

Status- Standing by.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    That Ultra Copper is great stuff, if you ever spill transmission, power steering or brake fluid on your egg, or if your Cyber-Q is running rough and vibrating the hell out of things, it will hold that gasket like nobody's business. (it actually is a gasket once dry)
    It is made for intermittent temps close to 400ºC so all should be good. 
    Your dome and base are now cleaner than when they left kiln at the factory! 
    :-j
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    @SGH‌ I've only seen a few Joe's cooking on here. Didn't care one way or the other. Cooking is cooking. But, ya you're probably right that you might catch less crap using an offset, vertical, A mazin etc VS a Joe on here.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Brother I wore some rubber gloves for my install it can be a bit messy.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    @‌SkinnyV
    Thanks for the tip my friend.

@NPHuskerFL‌
    My thoughts exactly on using the Joe on the forum.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I used Liquid Nail.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    @henapple‌
    You joking correct?

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    henapple said:

I used Liquid Nail.

Contractor Pack huh? I hope ya gooped it on nice and thick. And then lit a bunch of RO to cure it. =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I hope brother Apple was joking.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I was...@SGH‌. I used Elmer's construction glue.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    @henapple‌
    I hear ya brother Apple . But after seeing that bacon man pic I wasn't sure! Just saying my friend! ;)

Status- Standing by.