Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FAJITAs - flat Iron steak (pics)

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Staple weeknight dinner for us.  Easy cook if you make marinade early and allow the steak / onions / peppers to soak up all the flavors for a few hours.  I followed THIS recipe for the marinade ingredients.  Turned out great . . and tons of leftovers for salads / quesadillas / etc. later this week.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

[-X When will you silly people learn that fajitas are skirt steak? Fajita is a form of the word "faja" which translates to belt or girdle and describes how and where the skirt steak lays on a cow.  And there's no such thing as chicken fajitas or shrimp fajitas. Where is the skirt steak on a chicken or shrimp? And for the love of God, there is definitely no such thing as vegetable fajitas!!

All serious aside (and I'm not really being that serious anyway), them's some good looking tacos. I'd scarf them up, minus the green bell peppers.

:D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    Options
    Good to know . . but my meal was cheap!  Flat Iron is much cheaper here than skirt or flank and Green Peppers are much cheaper than red/orange/yellow!

If I was Griffin and made millions of dollars each month off advertisements from my food blog . .  . then YES I could afford to buy traditional fajita meat cuts and matured bell peppers!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Options

=)) Millions? I've never made a cent. My blog doesn't have advertisements. On purpose. Hell, I've probably lost money on it, especially if you consider time is money. But hopefully its helped somebody and that was the whole goal. Maybe I should team up with Fire Wires? :))

I was really kidding about the whole cut of meat thing, I'd eat 'em with skirt, flank, flat iron. Hell, I've even had 'em done with rib eye at a local high falutin' joint here in town. And personally, I skip the peppers half the time anyway. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• NDG
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Its all good!  Your blog has DEFINITELY helped me a lot . . . it has been one of my GO-TO sites for years now!

I love to learn and honestly I had no idea skirt steak was so tied to fajitas - thanks for all you do Griff!
    Columbus, OH

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks good NDG.  I'm with you, if doing fajitas I will go flat iron, but if I'm going for more traditional steak with sauce I will go flank steak.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Griffin
    Options

De nada.

It was a throw away cut of meat they used to give to the Mexican cowhands. And if you really want to get technical it should be the inside cut of skirt, not the outside cut, but I think most of the inside cut gets exported to China or somewhere (I think I remember reading that) and it's almost impossible to get in stores. I think you pretty much have to have a cow butchered and request that cut to get it nowadays. Don't quote me on that. I'm pretty sure that was accurate up until a few years ago, but I haven't looked into it in years and I've had a drink or three since then. Or I could be full or $hit and just making $hit up in my mind and convincing myself I read it somewheres...

Rowlett, Texas