Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Prices???

Has brisket always been expensive to buy? Can't seem to find anything under $8 lb.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Packer briskets in this area have risen from $2.99/lb in Feb to $4.15/lb now.  Flats have stayed at $5.99/lb for the duration. (These prices are found at Costco (prime grade packers) and Kroger (CAB flats) chain stores.)  Have not priced at "boutique butchers".  The rise in beef prices is due to the effects of the drought in the mid-west impacting market supply along with what some will say is an increased demand.  The rise in beef prices does not appear to have any near-term endpoint.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    lousubcap said:
    Packer briskets in this area have risen from $2.99/lb in Feb to $4.15/lb now.  Flats have stayed at $5.99/lb for the duration. (These prices are found at Costco (prime grade packers) and Kroger (CAB flats) chain stores.)  Have not priced at "boutique butchers".  The rise in beef prices is due to the effects of the drought in the mid-west impacting market supply along with what some will say is an increased demand.  The rise in beef prices does not appear to have any near-term endpoint.  FWIW-
    Corn prices are falling now so the prices may come down next year. Fuel is also an issue so who knows.

At $8/lb, I'd consider ordering online from places like Creekstone farms. They are around $9-10/lb for prime grade. Free shipping.

Another option is Restaurant Depot, if you have one nearby.
  • At grocery stores and butchers in the Chicago area, CAB packers and flats are over $8/lb. Needless to say, I haven't smoked a brisket this summer. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I was buying mine from my local butcher where I get most of my stuff and was paying $7.99/lb for flats.

On a whim, I checked my local GFS, and they had full packers for $3.89/lb.  Needless to say, I picked up a 14lb'er and took it home!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    brisket prices in north texas are around $4/lb for packers.  The local walmart had select grade packers last week for $1.99/lb.   

prices jumped because feed was in short supply couple years ago.  Many ranchers sold off cattle early due to the shortages.  Best I hear from my cattle raising friends is cattle counts are on the rise again and prices may come down next year.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    GASGUY said:
    Has brisket always been expensive to buy? Can't seem to find anything under $8 lb.
    You didn't say where you are located. Someone near you might have a better idea on prices. 

I was at restaurant depot a few days ago and they were $4.24/pound for USDA Choice packers.  They were $3.24/pound if you bought a case (don't know how many are in a case but probably about 5)
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    I live in NE PA. We do not have a Costco's near by, nor Restaurant Depot that I know of. Mostly Wegmans, Price Choppers, Sam's Clubs, etc. I realize price of meat has gone up, but reading other posts it seems like many are finding much better pricing on brisket then I have had luck with so far. Figured I reach out and ask...........having gotten so much good info, I thought it was worth a shot.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    I buy prime grade at Sam's in Iowa for 3.69 per pound which is over a dollar a pound more than a year ago.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @GASGUY‌ prices here in Carolina are through the roof too.-- to high for me anyways. I've been doing chuck roasts, pulling them, with good results. Everyone seems to like them as good if not better at my house.-- for 1/4 the price!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Last one I got at Walmart was $3.28/lb. for a choice packer.
    That was almost a month ago though.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    I paid $3.89# for a Prime CAB at Costco. It was $3.49 a month ago. This was at Katy Texas.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MP2Egg
    MP2Egg Posts: 1
    I paid $5/lb for a prime packer at HEB in The Woodlands, TX.  First prime brisket I've stumbled upon in the bin. 
  • EggSpinner
    EggSpinner Posts: 69
    $2.98 a lb for choice packers at Walmart (gasp) in kernersville, NC.  Not a fan of walmart but for that price it's worth the visit

Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    I bought 1.98/lb Choice at Walmart last weekend...Irving TX
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight