Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chiminea questions

I can buy here in the Netherlands a BGE Chiminea. Officially they were new imported here except some grey import.

From when to when has the Chiminea been in production ?

I understand it has an old design Mini nest. Is it the same as from the Mini's ? I have also seen a Large nest fitted which seems more sturdy ? What other accessories were available ?

Any idea's on the overall use of the Chiminea or is it just a nice gimmick (for an EggHead ?)
Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Re: other uses, you could toast marshmallows in it, or take off the top section, put a grid across the top and cook on an open fire.

I want one for my patio, but they are not available here, so I'm a little jealous :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I recall people saying it was somewhat of a gimmick.  Since the egg is well insulated, it doesn't really radiate much heat unless you are standing right in front of it.  I would only consider it if it were a great deal.  Otherwise, I would get a cheaper fireplace and a mini :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mhoutman
    mhoutman Posts: 57
    thanks guys, perhaps more an collectors item. Yet some pf my questions remain unanswered.
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Chimineas were a fire and burn hazard, that's why they diassappeared from the market as fast as they appeared. They didn't serve much purpose but allowing someone to have a little, somewhat contained camp fire on their deck. Bge's had a screen on the front, and was better insulated though. The cheap ones were very easy to break, spilling burning wood or charcoal everywhere when they did.
  • I have a BGE chiminea. What do you want to know?
    Flint, Michigan