Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New Member, New EGG, New Table

Have had my egg for about 2 months now as I was building my table. Finally completed!!!!!

Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)

Comments

• stemc33stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Welcome. Any food stories yet? Can't wait to see some cooks. Be careful, this forum and egging is eggdictive :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGHSGH Posts: 23,429
    @Hunter1881‌
    Welcome aboard. You did a outstanding job on that table. Very nice. Enjoy the egg my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 
  • uheepuheep Posts: 63
    Nice table ! Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing your post.
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,560
    Welcome...You are really going to enjoy that egg and table..Look forward to seeing some of your cooks..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • OmahaOneOmahaOne Posts: 150
    Welcome! Very nice setup. Enjoy...
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 949
    Welcome, very nice table! I will be the first of many to suggest getting a little more flow under that egg. Put some ceramic pot feet under the egg or get a table nest. There needs to be a little more air flow under there. Look forward to your cooks! Be careful this place is addictive!!
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Welcome, awesome table
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Welcome.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Welcome to the disease.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 3,619
    edited July 2014
    Welcome, nice set up now get cooking   :D

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014
    Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 720
    Welcome! Nice table. X2 on the airflow though.
    NW IOWA
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Welcome and good looking table.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 1,814
    Nice looking table. What's the top made of?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• johnkitchensjohnkitchens Posts: 4,928
    Welcome! That is a nice looking table. I hate to mention it, but like the others have said you need more airflow underneath. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice setup! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Hunter1881Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    @stemc33‌ Thanks. No good stories yet. And I know this place is addictive. Been a nightly thing for the past month
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,690
    Is the table-top poured concrete?

Looks great.
    Thanks everyone for the advice and comments.
    @jtcBoynton‌, @Eggcelsior‌ that is an acid stained concrete top
  • Welcome. What's your first cook?
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC - Go Heels!
    @CarolinaCrazy‌ I did burgers. I am used to using a weber gas grill. My first couple are going to be easy cooks
  • cook861cook861 Posts: 870
    welcome dont for get the pictures
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • @Hunter1881‌ welcome from a fellow west Tennesseean just wondering what part are you from.
    Lexington TN
    @MJLivingston‌ I'm in Henderson. So.... 20 miles from you

@GeorgeS, @Philly35, @johnkitchens, Not sure if it makes a diference but base is actually a 2" thick piece of concrete, and not just a paver. And it doesnt sit directly on the shelf. It sits on the 2x4's you can see in the pic. Do I still need a table nest? And anybody else is welcome to chime in with your thoughts or opinions. They are very much welcomed and appreciated.

• tksmoketksmoke Posts: 776
    Nice work on the table!!!  Welcome aboard!!!   I'm not a table guy, but that looks very sturdy indeed.  Enjoy!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 949
    If I were you I would still put a set of these between the egg and the paver. Mine was sitting on the same thing and there was still heat transfer from the egg to the wood below the paver.

photo 70516594-A98D-4789-AC33-E43CC96FF0F0_zpsi7pgfcrx.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 1,814
    @Hunter1881, You don't "need" an air gap - but it does make it safer.  This is not a "safe - not safe" situation - rather it is a "more safe - less safe" situation.  We need to incorporate as much fire safety mechanisms to make us satisfied that the risk of fire is within our individual comfort levels.  Your use of a concrete top provides more protection than the typical wood top. The paver being open to air below is better than a paver sitting on the support shelf. Adding an air gap between the egg and the paver would increase safety some. A lot of eggers will recommend adding the air gap because it is useful and not costly. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 13,736
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great work on your table.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
    @GeorgeS‌ @jtcBoynton‌ thanks again for the advice. I appreciate all the help I can get. Which at this point is definitely needed