Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gelled Fire Starter

SundownSundown Posts: 2,913
edited 6:20AM in EggHead Forum
At Eggfest 2000 I was talking with some of the crew and fire starting came up. I haven't seen anything in the Forum about a product like this and I had promised I would post something about it.
It's called One MAtch Gelled Fire Starter, it is:
"Clean, no fumes...Environmentally safe...Oderless, smokeless...Will not flare up..."
It's made for pellet stoves and is essentially jellied alcohol. I alternate back and fourth with the little square thingees and this stuff. It comes in a squirt bottle and all ot takes os a couple of gentle squirts in the center top of the lump and stand back.
Stuff works great!
Made by Rutland Products
PO Box 340
Rutland, VT 005702-1078
No phone
There's a CODE 49Q
Hope this was some help.

·

Comments

• g-og-o Posts: 39
    Sundown, Sounds like great stuff. I'll probably never see it here in Ont. though.

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Sundown, never tested the product, but the link is to their website. The product can be found at http://www.rutland.com/sfp6/onelogo.gif[p]The phone is 800-544-1307 [p]Hope this helps anyone seeking additional information

[ul][li]Rutland Products[/ul]
    ·
  • ZipZip Posts: 372
    48-49.jpg
    <p />Sundown,[p]Is this it?[p]Zip

·
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,913
    Zip,
    As my friend in Maine says Ayup![p]Carey

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sundown, the big problem is Rutland doesn't service the public and you must go thru a dealer, local or on the internet.
    I am dealing with them on another level..Cheers..C~W[p]

·
  • KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    firestarter1.jpg
    <p />Sundown,[p]A similar gel product is available from a company called Stove Brite. I have found it at old time "Ma and Pa nails by the pound" hardware stores. Also from the Hasty-Bake web site. It does work well and a 24 oz. squirt bottle costs $6-7. I would probably still be using it if Weber starter cubes or Coughlins fire starters weren't so so cheap and easy to come by at Walmart.[p]K~G

·