Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gelled Fire Starter

SundownSundown Posts: 2,901
edited 1:59AM in EggHead Forum
At Eggfest 2000 I was talking with some of the crew and fire starting came up. I haven't seen anything in the Forum about a product like this and I had promised I would post something about it.
It's called One MAtch Gelled Fire Starter, it is:
"Clean, no fumes...Environmentally safe...Oderless, smokeless...Will not flare up..."
It's made for pellet stoves and is essentially jellied alcohol. I alternate back and fourth with the little square thingees and this stuff. It comes in a squirt bottle and all ot takes os a couple of gentle squirts in the center top of the lump and stand back.
Stuff works great!
Made by Rutland Products
PO Box 340
Rutland, VT 005702-1078
No phone
There's a CODE 49Q
Hope this was some help.

·

Comments

• g-og-o Posts: 39
    Sundown, Sounds like great stuff. I'll probably never see it here in Ont. though.

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Sundown, never tested the product, but the link is to their website. The product can be found at http://www.rutland.com/sfp6/onelogo.gif[p]The phone is 800-544-1307 [p]Hope this helps anyone seeking additional information

[ul][li]Rutland Products[/ul]
    ·
  • ZipZip Posts: 372
    48-49.jpg
    <p />Sundown,[p]Is this it?[p]Zip

·
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,901
    Zip,
    As my friend in Maine says Ayup![p]Carey

·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Sundown, the big problem is Rutland doesn't service the public and you must go thru a dealer, local or on the internet.
    I am dealing with them on another level..Cheers..C~W[p]

·
  • KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    firestarter1.jpg
    <p />Sundown,[p]A similar gel product is available from a company called Stove Brite. I have found it at old time "Ma and Pa nails by the pound" hardware stores. Also from the Hasty-Bake web site. It does work well and a 24 oz. squirt bottle costs $6-7. I would probably still be using it if Weber starter cubes or Coughlins fire starters weren't so so cheap and easy to come by at Walmart.[p]K~G

·