Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous-Vide, Egg Seared Berkshire Rib chops

Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
Pretty simple cook. Summer Vegetables and a couple of those Berkshire rib chops I got from Lobel's.

I started off with the Sous Vide Supreme at 138

I dropped the Rib Chops in, In there original shipping package with no seasoning at 138 for 2.5 hours.

They looked like this.

After the sous vide I seasoned them heavily.

Then I set the egg up for raised direct with the Baking Steel up high (in hindsight should have gone low.. but it was already in there and I just wasn't thinking)

After the egg stabilized at 500 and I used a dollop of this Ghee, it's amazing.

All that is left to do is Sear. Here is the last one finishing on the edge.

After the Sear on the way to the table.

Plated with the leftover veggies from my Saturday night cook.

YUM!!!

Next time, I'll go lower on the SV, 136 I think. I wanted a little more rare after the sear. I could let it cool down more before the sear. Any opinions?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Mam o man that looks good.excellent job !

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thank you @SGH

I never remember to take pictures of my cooks. So I never feel like I can post them! I'm going to reverse sear the next 2 we have and see if I can get a better product out of the SV or the Egg the whole way
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have never tried the SV. How do you like it?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    So far the best thing I have use it for is reheating leftovers. Which it's the end all best thing in the world for. Past that, I'm still experimenting. Chicken Breasts and Pork seems to respond really well.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Looks fabulous. Nicely done.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited July 2014
    Nice, I've yet to try SV pork chops. I was wondering if you're going to sear on that baking steel at a lower position, you may want to SV the chops at a even lower temp, say 130'ish?
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very nice! I haven't tried SV without seasoning first. Did you find that the meat was adequately seasoned /flavorful?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    caliking said:
    Very nice! I haven't tried SV without seasoning first. Did you find that the meat was adequately seasoned /flavorful?
    Yes, and no risk of overpowering the meat.  Though I really wanted the flavor of the berkshire pork to shine.  

The heavy seasoning before the sear gave it a nice crust. 
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Beautiful. So the $10k question is: Is the Lobel's premium worth it? Was it a superior chop?
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Great looking meal!  I'm also a fan of the SV for cooking steaks!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Thatgrimguy
    Beautiful. So the $10k question is: Is the Lobel's premium worth it? Was it a superior chop?

I'm glad I bought it and it's definitely a treat. It's not so much better that I'll only buy it. But definitely a special treat.  They are FANTASTIC.

I don't plan on ordering from them often. But when I do, these will always make there way into my shopping cart. Probably once every couple years.

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Glad to hear they turned out so well there Mr. Thatgrimguy!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872

nice looking meal 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now