Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you sous vide vegetables?

Options
I have some carrots, onions, mushrooms and fresh garlic. I also have some asparagus. I was thinking about sautéing the onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Sous vide the carrots and grill the asparagus. Any one have any specifics on what they do with asparagus or carrots?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Food saver them with a TBS of bacon fat or butter Salt and Pepper and SV them for 45 minutes at 165, that's what I do and they come out fine.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    For the carrots, just add some butter, honey, chopped ginger (powdered should also be ok) and salt/pepper. I never really measure... go easy on the ginger. 185F for 45 minutes then lower to 130F if you need to let them in the water bath longer.

Options
    Carrots are the best in the Trés Booblay. We go as high as 186ºF for an hour. Bacon fat/butter is good, S&P and or another rub you like on roasted carrots. I tend to stay away from fresh garlic in the SV, don't care for the taste - somethings are better sauté. 
    Root veggies seem to be the ones we have the most success with. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The key is 183°. That's when pectinase starts breaking down pectin in cell walls. Getting near that temp is desired, especially for root veggies.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

180 in my SV Demi for 45 and they are a little soft, try different temps, I like a little snap, sorry!

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Grillmagic‌ I like snap too. I was just positing where pectin gelatinizes. It's probably most important with potatoes.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I grilled asparagus last night. I used olive oil and a combo garlic/S&P mix, then sprinkled with parmesan. Simple, but awesome.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming