Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How sneaky is your wife.....mine is pretty good!

Options
So my girls are all back from the beach and my wife and I were talking last night about dinners for the weekend and she said she didn't want me to grill so the girls could spend more time with me. She said she was just gonna pick something easy up. Then she tells me this morning that my daughter has a birthday party to go to and she is going to pick up a pizza on the way home and we can have some tomatoe, motz, basil salad with it. Now she knew ahead of time what my response was gonna be to buying a pizza! She knew I was gonna say nope we'll do it on the egg!! So she's getting ready to head out to the store and to drop off for the bday party and she goes "oh damn the girls are gonna have pizza at the party and they had pizza twice at the beach..... Hey how hard is it again to make that lemon rosemary chicken I like so much?". My reply was "give the grocery list you sneaky little ****". Just so you know when she came home I had Chicken Bombs on the menu for tonight! She switched up the menu and I didn't even see it coming!

photo 939EA115-9D24-4C93-82D1-B32F2144E14E_zps7ngt4hqw.jpg

photo 982A4D85-3958-468A-89EA-44661F0F8D5B_zpsmozkziy1.jpg

photo BB88EDA1-0097-4801-933F-CCF8E16BE7CD_zpsjvhptqgm.jpg

Will also be roasting some Yukon Golds to go with the chicken.
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Haha...clever. Good for you! Nice pics! That recipe looks good George!

My wife is very engaged with everything I make. She isn't sneaky...just tells me what she wants. She is more of a brisket snob than I am...love it!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I'm switching things up on her a bit, a little bruschetta instead of tomatoe, basil, motz.

photo 7CF401BB-B324-4763-82E5-E6C964A1C875_zpszzyj3uwh.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @cazzy‌ Thanks so much! We've been married for 19 years this year and she still surprises me every now and then! That's why I like to keep her around 8->

photo 6BF55F01-BE4F-461C-AB51-FF7E4C8B3102_zps1dk0apyr.jpg
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I do most of the shopping. My wife typically sends it to me in an email format (very structured and analytical list). I can usually tell what is going to happen by the list items. She is very blunt on what she wants for meals and I happily oblige. Like I tell everybody...I wear the pants in the family but, she pics em out. ;-)

That's an excellent looking meal! And I'm a huge fan of traditional Sicilian bruschetta. Nice.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    That looks really good. What else did you use besides lemons and rosemary?
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    Thanks everybody! The marinade is lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, basil, EVOO, honey, thyme, pepper and salt. I can post an exact recipe later for it if you would like.

Chicken is done.
    photo 61F86F5F-6617-4BB0-B853-CBA9D7650617_zpsiw1qubpn.jpg
  • CLT_BGE
    CLT_BGE Posts: 12
    Options
    Two thumbs up.  Nice work.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I am glad I saw thyme in your list because I just picked some lemon thyme from the garden to put with the rosemary.  This should be delicious. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    Thanks everybody! The marinade is lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, basil, EVOO, honey, thyme, pepper and salt. I can post an exact recipe later for it if you would like. Chicken is done.
    That would be great if you don't mind. Look's and sounds awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• GeorgeS
    Options
    I decided to toast the bread on the egg too. Everything turned out awesome!
    photo 6C770818-31C1-4E66-801A-485AF6049645_zps63yfztiy.jpg

photo D12D01DC-8380-4A94-8B13-5523173538D9_zpsdnstsct5.jpg

photo 3E35CD76-8A69-45BB-A3E0-D8783D0A319E_zps1izmy7zw.jpg
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh wow
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Nodding...yes yes I must now make some fresh baked bread and bruschetta. We used to eat it almost daily while deployed several times to Sicily. That is a great looking meal! Nicely plated too. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Awesome, well done!
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• GeorgeS
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My belly is delightfully full!
  • GeorgeS
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Grilled Lemon-Rosemary Chicken

2/3 cup EVOO
    1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
    1/4 cup fresh thyme
    1/4 cup fresh basil
    4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons honey
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon of black pepper

I have modified an older recipe on the marinade. The original recipe which didn't have the thyme or basil in it but called for 2 teaspoons of Key West Season mix. Mix all marinade ingredients and toss in a bowl with about 4-5 pounds of bone in chicken. Transfer into large ziplock bags and squeeze all the air out. Marinade for 1-4 hours. I cook indirect because this marinade flames very badly if you try to cook direct. I also tossed my Yukon golds in EVOO and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put them in a pan and slipped them under the grate right onto the plate setter and let the chicken juices drip right down in there.

Bruschetta--This is a very loose recipe, you will have to adjust to taste and size of tomatoes
    4-6 medium sized ripe tomatoes
    1/2 medium onion finely chopped
    3 teaspoons EVOO
    4 Teaspoons vinegar (2 balsamic and 2 red wine)
    fresh basil to taste
    oregano to taste
    tarragon to taste
    1-3 cloves garlic
    small amount of black pepper

chop tomatoes and layer in a bowl with a small amount of kosher salt sprinkled over each layer. Be careful on the amount of salt you use. Let stand for an hour to allow the juice to come out. Add all other ingredients and let it chill for a few hours. I like to bring it back to room temp before serving. I used ciabatta bread cut about 1/4 thick, spread a small amount of EVOO on top of bread. Then put a small amount of fresh cut Parmesan cheese on top of bread and toast. I usually place small bowls of the bruschetta on the table and let people put it on their own bread so it doesn't get soggy.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Outstanding! That plate looks wonderful. And thanks for the recipe :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @caliking‌ Thank you and your welcome!