Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse and Green Beans

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Was going to do a narrative, but pics will have to tell the story, I can't. One of the best steaks I've had in a while. McCormick's Montreal Steak on the steak. SPOG on the green beans.

@SGH What do you think brother friend, did I do OK?

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @DMW, looks awesome. Is that a foil plan with holes in it? Are you using that for indirect then searing it. Looks like you got it medium rare.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    @DMW‌ [-O< please tell me there's more steak. That was a meat tease. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    edited July 2014
    @Ladeback69‌ That's a foil drip pan. No holes, just drip spots. Its sitting on a plate setter with a busted leg. Then another grid on top of the drip pan.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Looks amazing DMV. I bet it was delicious.
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • Those beans look awesome. Were they crisp when they were done? It seems everybody loves crisp/crunchy green beans nowadays but I just cant eat them
    Like that. I need them to be tender.

Little Rock, AR

• ivada
    ivada Posts: 25
    edited July 2014
    Amazing cook - so simple, meat and fire.  And yet so mouth watering.  Love it!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Beef. It's what's for dinner. Or was, in this case. Nicely done, My Friend.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Damn
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That looks pretty damn good! What is SPOG?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • DMW
    @Egghead_Daron Salt Pepper Onion powder Garlic powder. I can't remember if this one I have mixed is 2:2:1:1 or 1:1:1:1. Great basic rub that works on beef as well. It's a good starting point to build from if you want to work on your own as well.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• I should have been able to figure that one out. That's what I get for being on the forum while at work. Guess I should get the heck out of work then. Thanks!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Strong work my friend.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    You were right no need for words on that cook..Fantastic and what a porter..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    that is huge . . nice cook, brother.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • DMW
    @Biggreenpharmacist
    These were not a crunchy as my grilled green beans usually are. My XL was still about 150* inside from a few hours of burning at 500*600* to clean off some gunk on grids, DFMT, etc. So while I was finishing stage 1 of the reverse sear, I sat the beans in the XL. When I pulled the steak and plate setter and raised the temp, I put the green beans on while it came up to 500*, tossing occasionally. I then pulled the beans off and seared the steak. When I pulled the steak off after the sear, I tossed the beans back on to char again a bit. Odd technique, but it worked well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• @DMW well they looked fantastic (as did the steak).  I love green beans, just not when they are crunchy.  I'm weird, though, so there's that too. 

Little Rock, AR

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks great @DMW. Nice job.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Nice looking cook sir! Love me some grilled veggies!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!