Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porcelain coated Cast Iron Cooking Grate

Folks,

I am interested in picking up this Porcelain coated Cast Iron Grate. (http://www.amazon.com/69991-Porcelain-Cooking-Grate-Replacement/dp/B00IM5T5TM/) Just wanted to know if anyone has used this and find it better than the BGE Cast Iron Grate.

Thanks!
LBGE & Mini
Orlando, FL

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Personally I wouldn't waste my money. Even BGE woke up to their senses several years back and discontinued using porcelain covered grates. Reason - no matter how careful you are that porcelain will crack and break and that allows water to seep in and then rust the metal and then more porcelain will pop off. I took a hammer to my original two grates to break off as much of the remaining porcelain as I could and then just threw them away after buying stainless steel grates.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Thanks @RRP ... I was thinking alsong thte same lines too about the porcelain coating. I have also read that sometimes the coating is there to hide badly manufactured cast iron. I will avoid buying this and get the real BGE one from my dealer.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I ordered 2 of these grates from Ebay.
    Shipping was fast, less than a week from Ca to Texas.
    Grate looks just like the BGE from what I can tell.
    I was very leery but happy with them when they arrived.
    One for me and one for a friend. Have not used so can not comment on cooking.
    I'm sure they will be just like BGE CI. Might crack at any time with fast temp changes or a drop.
    For $30 it was worth a shot.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I fail to see the benefit of porcelain coated cast iron.  I have a CI frying pan that works great.  Seasoning works as non-stick is almost as good as teflon.  My wife bought a nice ceramic coated cast iron frying pan that claims to be non-stick.  Doesn't seem to work so well.  Everything seems to stick to it.  As a result, I rarely use it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.