Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Air Flow & Cooking Time - 2 briskets, 1 BGE

Hi, all.

Having a crowd over this weekend and Texas brisket is on the agenda. I need a massive, 15-16 pounder to feed this crowd. Unfortunately, I'm told by my butcher that this year, the beef market has been terrible, with the result that cows are being slaughtered younger with consequently, smaller briskets. No way, no how am I going to get my hands on a slab of meat like I want.

I'm working on a large BGE and I have the "second grill" insert that, on its own, makes a shelf about 3-4" above the other grill. My butcher has floated the idea of doing two 8 pounders, one over the other.

My working assumption is that as it stands, there won't be enough airflow between the two levels to make cooking two briskets a viable proposition. Question: if I raise the second grill up with a good solid brick or two, giving it a good 6-8" above the primary grill, would this allow for enough airflow to make doing the two briskets doable?  Anyone ever attempt the procedure???

In a bit of a planning bind, guys- thanks in advance.

Comments

• As I ponder the matter, I note to self that when indirect smoking anything, you're using the plate setter- and that the grate is propped up about 6" above that.  That's how it's supposed to work.  Does it not make sense that adding a second grate above the first grate at approximately the same distance as between the first grate and the plate setter shouldn't affect the cooking times?  

Suspect you'd have to switch the briskets' positions, from time to time, to even things out.  But outside that, I can't think of why it wouldn't work, if not take a little longer than usual.

Close eye on the time and temp, crutching if it gets too far behind schedule, might be the order of the day.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I really don't see why it would not work. As you say, may need to adapt and adjust as the cook progresses.

As for the airflow issue... I've seen plenty of posts where multiple butts are done pressed against one another. Seems the only issues are cook time and bark. I understand that a good bark might be more important on brisket but don't see why they couldn't be done that way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Here is a post from @MaskedMarvel with two 5 lbers!

I don't think you will have any problem with two 8 lbers.  I don't think you need to worry about having that much space between them.  Even if they are touching they will shrink during cooking.  With 8 lbers you will probably be fine with your raised grid especially if you cross them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Agree with all the above-depending on the thickness of the points, you may not need as big a gap between grids as you think-all you want is some clearance.  And you should definitely switch them out around half-way (like you know  when that occurs before finished:)) as the upper one should cook faster due to proximity to the dome.  Also-watch out that your dome thermo doesn't impale the upper hunk of beef.  Enjoy the cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Here is a post from @MaskedMarvel with two 5 lbers!

I don't think you will have any problem with two 8 lbers.  I don't think you need to worry about having that much space between them.  Even if they are touching they will shrink during cooking.  With 8 lbers you will probably be fine with your raised grid especially if you cross them.  
    Magnificent reference point that I didn't find on my pre-emptive search of the archives.  I can't help but think more space (and air flow) is better, but it's golden to know that someone else has been where I am and went through it successfully.

Thanks a lot, SP- really appreciated!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Heya friends

The concept of airflow never really jived with me. There is a slit the width of the side of a nickel below; An opening like half a flower petal above. Lots more room inside. As long a they don't touch much in the beginning (they will shrink as the cook progresses), airflow isn't a concern IMHO.

Thanks for linking that old cook. It was a great one!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!