Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heres how i start my fire now

I was tired of the chimney starter and the small blue propane bottle (map torch?) took too long.  One day I was torching weeds in my yard and figured I would try to get the egg going with my weed torch.  holy $h!t!  it only took 30 seconds!  I will never light an egg another way except for low and slow cooks.  For high heat, this baby gets the fire going in no time!

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Just be careful with that. Many of Eggers have burnt more then lump with them. Including decks and house.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Just be careful with that. Many of Eggers have burnt more then lump with them. Including decks and house.

ah yes, I meant to mention that it is not the safest method.  luckily for me, my egg is now in a portable nest (took it out of the table for fire safety reasons) and I have a large patio.  After rolling the egg to the furthest part of my patio, I light the egg far far away from my home or any other combustables!
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Then let her burn...lol.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Weed burner works for me. Was using it in my pre-Egg days to start my offset as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    have had one of those outside next to the egg for 12 years, its beat, rusted out, and still works
    :D wear a hat and sunglasses and theres no need to go full throttle....but you will
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Never go full throttle on a fresh load of lump. Specially if you are wearing flip flops.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• busmania
    no need to go full throttle....but you will
    :))
    depends on how big of a hurry I am in!  But yeah, full throttle on the harbor freight torch is like a flame thrower.  im quite impressed with what my $30 bought me a few months ago!
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I like the Bernzamatic weed torch from Amazon.  Sure, it's more expensive ($38 with free shipping via Prime), but it has a smaller, more focused, flame thrower nozzle.  I wouldn't characterize it as unsafe, but I do always wear eye protection - no doubt there can be sparks.  I have never heard of any fires being started by use of the weed torch - except when left running unattended.....image
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I need to get one of those just to kill weeds.  Especially on my beach, I bet that would work perfect.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • busmania
    I need to get one of those just to kill weeds.  Especially on my beach, I bet that would work perfect.
    With a little one around, I was tired of spraying my weeds with chemicals.  the torch gets the job done very well!I am sure my neighbors think I am crazy.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    busmania said:
    With a little one around, I was tired of spraying my weeds with chemicals.  the torch gets the job done very well!I am sure my neighbors think I am crazy.
    Sweet. That'll take care of my problem with using chemicals on the waters edge. I'm not tryign to pollute the rivers/bayous!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum