Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking times / temps?

Options
victor1
victor1 Posts: 225
maybe an obvious question (or not?)  i'm interested in doing a rib roast and am a little confused.  I read and see them being done at low temps 225f for long periods of time, or much higher temp and much shorter times. some seared first, some after.  just about everyone claims great results and i believe them.  so,
is this all a matter of trial and error?  individual preference ? one method better than the other ?   thanks in advance.

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did one at Christmas, read a bunch of methods and chose one.  I would just search the forum, read a few and decide what fits for you.    I did a reverse sear and was really pleased with the results.  Link to the post is here.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160439/yet-another-prime-rib-reverse-seared-pics-of-course#latest

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Trial and error? In some ways, yes; hopefully with no significant errors. And, mainly in an effort to find what works for you (i.e. what you like). If you've got something that's edible at the end of a cook then you're on the right track.

Individual preference? Absolutely! And, don't worry if your preference does not match that of others. Your cooking for yourself (I'm including your family in this as well) and not the rest of us.

One method better than the other? Not necessarily. This really ties into the Individual preference question.

IMO, one of the most important things to learn is to have fun and enjoy cooking on your Egg and trying new and different ways of doing things. And, don't forget to share your results with the rest of us.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Good question @victor1‌ . @TexanOfTheNorth‌ couldn't have said it better. The great thing about this forum is that it gives you great ideas and starting points. My cooking world has expanded so much since joining the forum.
    Have fun and Egg on :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    All that really matters is you get the internal temp to the right place. Hot/Fast or low/slow, both works. I like the effect of going slow with a sear to get a good crust.

I should keep better records of cook times. But I rarely have a set meal time. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    matter of preference. with a rib roast i start hotter around 450 and then drop temps as it cooks. if theres alot of fat on the roast searing can be a big mistake ether before or after the roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    With a rib roast, I prefer to end up with a uniform doneness from the center to the outside and a nice browned exterior.  You need lower heat to get the uniform doneness and high heat to get the brown exterior.  You really do need to cook it with two different temps. Sear first then finish with low temp or low temp first then sear - both will work. However, I believe that you can get better results from low heat first then finishing with high heat. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.