Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy Tuesday Pork Chops

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
So we didn't have anything prepped for dinner tonight and this morning I was in the mood for pork chops. SWMBO agreed. However, I didn't want to settle from what was already cut on the shelf, so I picked up a whole loin and sliced them 1.5" thick each myself. 4 went into a basic brine I had on hand and the rest were vac sealed and into the freezer. Oh, and the chops that weren't cut like I want them were $4.99/lb and the whole loin was $2.99/lb. I like DIY economics.

So there was a warning of torrential downpours and up to 70 mph winds in spots tonight. I didn't feel like getting soaked, so I wheeled the Small through the house to the front (covered) porch when I had a break between phone calls. Glad I did, as the rain came, but the wind never did. I could have just setup the EZ-UP and strapped it down in the back. I just looked and to the east of us a bit they are getting beat on with the heavy wind. If I had gone the EZ-UP route on the deck I can guarantee you the system would have stalled just a bit west of where it did and I would have been shopping for a new EZ-UP tomorrow.

I had a batch of the "Spicy Pork Rub" from Charcuterie that I made without the salt. This is perfect for when you have already added salt via a brine. If you haven't brined, just salt the meat before you add the rub. I've gone salt-free on all my homemade rubs now, more flexibility on how I add the salt. I can Brine, Dry-Brine, or just salt with the rub.

Went on at about 250* for the first phase.

Pulled them at 130*ish:

Opened the vents, also held the lid open about 1/2" to help add O2 to the fire. Got it up to temp fairly quickly.

Put them on for a nice sear on both sides

Lighting inside was really bad with my S3 camera

Took my plate outside to get a better photo.

All the sides were taken care of inside by SWMBO. She still remembers how to cook, who knew? (Don't tell her I said that!)

Now I want Berkshire pork, I wonder if @Thatgrimguy could help with that? :D

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @DMW. I agree with economics, especially when the end product goes like this. Delish.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I had two of the Berkshire chops for dinner tonight. Sous Vide at 140 for about 2 hours then pat dry and season. Mine had Chef Pauls Blackened Redfish Magic and my wife had Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. Raining here, so I broke out my skillet and seared each with about 60-90 sec/side.  Of course I failed to photo any of this, but it was the best tasting pork chop I have ever had in my life. Everything was perfect about it.

Next one will get egg'd.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice. MUCH better results than my chips last night. :-B
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@DMW - Very nice! What IT did you end up at? Those chops are beautiful. I like the idea of the no-salt rubs so you can pick the brining/salting method.

@Thatgrimguy - Did you put any seasoning in the bag for the SV time? I have a pork loin that I may cut into chops like DMW did.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqjk
    bbqjk Posts: 18
    Options
    Great looking dinner. Looks like the SBGE has no problem getting up to temp. Way to go.
    Retired in Houston, Texas  LBGE and MBGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @Caliking

No, I didn't want to risk anything overpowering the flavor of the meat. I cooked it in the vacuum packs they were shipped in.

I still find with seasoning after, but before the sear gives me great flavor.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Great looking chops but had a serious flashback when I saw the dinner plates :-bd I grew up with something like these probably 35 yrs ago. Ahhhh memories!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @caliking Thanks, IT after the sear was 139*ish. Mine was a bit lower, but oh so juicy...If you look at the sear pic, the ones to the back had a better fire underneath. When I checked after searing both sides, they were done. The front ones weren't "done" yet, so I continued searing one of the them and the other I ate. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    These look great and even better you cut them to your liking...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DMW‌ great looking cooks here in spite of the weather (way to persevere). Not that I've ever had to cook in the rain :^o :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL