Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coke?

victor1
victor1 Posts: 225
Just curious, have any of you ever cooked with Coca Cola?  I've slow cooked pork ribs in the oven (covered) with coke and Rufus Teague's rub and then finished off on the grill (gas) with RT's bbq sauce.  They  actually came out very well.  Now that I have my BGE I'm excited to try some of the same.  Have also heard Dr. Pepper is good.  Interested in your thoughts.   Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I have simmered Baby Backs in coke and orange juice then finished them on my weber for years but not any more, 3-2-1 for me on my XL
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Crock pot butt with Coke/Pepsi/DrPepper/Root Beer - have tried them all. Egg cooks retain so much moisture, I've only use Coke as the liquid to hold the spice when injecting. 
    Have used Coke to braise (Travis Method) a brisket, worked very well. Was thinking of using Coke for a chuck roast in the DO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The active ingredient is sugar water.  The carbonation is gone in minutes, whatever flavor you start with is largely lost, just like you can't taste the mustard when used as rub-glue.
    I once tried adding Coke to reheat some pork barbecue. Only the one time though. It was awful!!! No way I'll ever braise with it. I

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

I have been adding Coke to reheated pulled pork for 8 years and it's awesome, not one person could taste the coke as I have told them after they ate it there was coke in it. Usually they say I'm lying about the coke!

When I do ribs I go direct 225-250 apple wood chunks for about an hour or so, then into a glass 9"x13" a can of coke, cover tightly with foil, back on the Egg same temp for 2 to 3 hours, if they go too long they will fall apart like pulled pork so I start checking with the bend test, sauce and back on direct to char and set up sauce. It's brazing more than official BBQ but it's what we like. If I need a small amount of pulled pork I will get a package of boneless country style ribs use this method and in 3-5 hours I'm done. I promise you will never know it was Coke.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Victor1 - there you have it, the definite science of BBQ. 
    Both @Carolina_Q and @Jupiter_Jim have used Coke to reheat pork - one describes it as awful, one describes it as awesome. 
    I think much depends on the initial sauce treatment, a sweet sauce would warm better with Coke IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Have used Dr. Pepper and it gives it a nice sweet kicker so I am sure coke would work fine as well.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

I have been adding Coke to reheated pulled pork for 8 years and it's awesome, not one person could taste the coke as I have told them after they ate it there was coke in it. Usually they say I'm lying about the coke!

When I do ribs I go direct 225-250 apple wood chunks for about an hour or so, then into a glass 9"x13" a can of coke, cover tightly with foil, back on the Egg same temp for 2 to 3 hours, if they go too long they will fall apart like pulled pork so I start checking with the bend test, sauce and back on direct to char and set up sauce. It's brazing more than official BBQ but it's what we like. If I need a small amount of pulled pork I will get a package of boneless country style ribs use this method and in 3-5 hours I'm done. I promise you will never know it was Coke.

I'm with you, Jim! Only one person I knows knocks the Coke use every chance he can!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • You say Coke and I hear BEER. I'm funny that way.
    Flint, Michigan
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited July 2014

I use Coke in my hot wing sauce.

1 can coke, 1 big bottle franks original, butter, lime juice, fish sauce/soy sauce.  bring mixture to a simmer, introduce wings to sauce - stir around, then grill.  move the wings back and forth between the egg and sauce, every 10 minutes or so, each time the sauce will be getting thicker with more and more sticking to the wings - keep the sauce simmering to kill all the raw chicken bugs in it, and keep transferring between sauce/grill until desired level of sauciness is reached.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:

I'm with you, Jim! Only one person I knows knocks the Coke use every chance he can!

LOL. I have my standards. And they are obviously higher than yours.
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    RRP said:

You are soooo right also he is mostly negative!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer