Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busy Egg This Weekend

Options
Finally had a nice weekend to use the egg. 

Invited some of the guys over Friday evening and decided to grill some wings and thighs. Raised-direct at 400 until done. Wings had a dry rub of DP Swamp Venom and corn starch with Moore's Buffalo Wing Sauce at the end. The thighs had Mickey's coffee rub - WOW, WOW and WOW. The thighs were some of the best chicken I'd ever tasted. Sides included guacamole (with fresh veggies/herbs from my friend's and my gardens), roasted red potatoes and buffalo chicken meatballs. Unfortunately, socializing & drinking with the guys made me forget to take pics!

The plan was to make a breakfast pizza in the morning. But apparently staying up playing Tiger Woods 2014 and the associated drinking game that goes with it, leads to sleeping through the breakfast hours.

Decided it was time to roast my fresh green chiles from the garden. Who says you can't grow New Mexico green chiles in Georgia??

Off the egg ready to be peeled:

Since I hadn't used the Publix dough for the breakfast pizza, I decided to finish off the weekend with a buffalo chicken pizza:

Thanks for looking and hope you had a great weekend too!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like a great weekend. Pizza looks underdone...  ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Thanks @DMW - I'd say at that point, it sure was! :D
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It sounds like you had a fun weekend. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Sounds like a heck of a eggrific time. Nice bunch of cooks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    Options
    @johnkitchens - thanks! The only thing that was missing was a real round of golf. Always have fun with guys. They've been good friends for over 10 years now and they will be for many more.

Thanks @NPHuskerFL! Haven't been egging as much as I would like to lately. Felt good to have it fired up and as always, she didn't disappoint!
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @fence0407 I played 18 holes yesterday. It was hot, but it was still fun. SWMBO has already informed me that I will be egging tonight and tomorrow night. 

• fence0407
    Options
    @johnkitchens it was hot as heck yesterday! How'd you shoot? What's on SWMBO's menu and what time should we be over?
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I didn't shoot as well as I wanted to, but I have only been playing for 6 weeks. I played a little as a kid and then for about a year back in the mid 90's. I played my last round in 1999 until May 31 of this year. 

So I kind of see it as starting over. With that being said I shot a 95. In all honesty I am just glad to be breaking 100, but I sure do have my eye on 89 and then right on down. 

She has ribeyes on her mind for tonight. Tomorrow will be hamburgers. Simple but quick and easy! If you leave now you will make it on time! 

• fence0407
    Options
    I didn't shoot as well as I wanted to, but I have only been playing for 6 weeks. I played a little as a kid and then for about a year back in the mid 90's. I played my last round in 1999 until May 31 of this year. 

So I kind of see it as starting over. With that being said I shot a 95. In all honesty I am just glad to be breaking 100, but I sure do have my eye on 89 and then right on down. 

She has ribeyes on her mind for tonight. Tomorrow will be hamburgers. Simple but quick and easy! If you leave now you will make it on time! 
    That's great! You'll hit 89 (or better) soon! I finally took my first ever lesson and it helped me tremendously. It's a fun and frustrating game, that's for sure. 

Ribeyes and burgers sound great. You tried Mickey's Coffee Rub yet? I've only used it on chicken so far but heard it's great on steaks. As for burgers I typically use DP Cowlick. And you're right - if I left now I might get there in time! The Atlanta traffic sucks though!
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words. For me it is a love hate relationship. If I make a great drive I love it. If I top my second shot and it goes 20 feet I hate it, but at the end of the round I can't wait to do it all over again! 

I have not tried Mickey's Coffee Rub yet. I need to look the recipe up and try it. I have been using Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express on steak. My wife doesn't like flavor, I mean rubs, even black pepper is "too hot" so me and the kids get the red eye express. 

On burgers I don't use any rub. They are so good the way they are I don't want to mess with them. 

"if I left now I might get there in time! The Atlanta traffic sucks though!"

You got that part right about the traffic. I work 9 miles from home and my little town has a population of only 3,000. The only time we get caught in traffic is if we get caught behind a tractor! 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Those chiles look great. One great thing about living in Albuquerque is the endless supply of Hatch Green Chile

and come Sept/Oct i'll be refreshing my freezer supply with fresh roasted chile.

For those that might be in ABQ during chile season go by one of the roasters you see scattered through town the smell is heavenly :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • fence0407
    Options
    @johnkitchens - Mickey's has 0 heat in my opinion. When the red eye runs out, whip up a batch and see what you think! And yes, I agree with the golf relationship. We are hoping to move into the North Forsyth area which sounds more like where you live. I'd rather look at cow pastures than stores on my drive home!

@llrickman - My family is from Albuquerque! We will actually be visiting there in the fall and bringing home some of our own hatch green chiles. And yes - those of you who have never been to Albuquerque - go during the fall and get some green chiles!
    Cumming, GA  

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    llrickman said:
    Those chiles look great. One great thing about living in Albuquerque is the endless supply of Hatch Green Chile

and come Sept/Oct i'll be refreshing my freezer supply with fresh roasted chile.

For those that might be in ABQ during chile season go by one of the roasters you see scattered through town the smell is heavenly :)
    I was fortunate to be in ABQ during Hatch season. It was amazing. I don't think I've ever eaten so much "green sauce" in my life. I really enjoyed the chow in ABQ as well as in the bohemian parts of Route 66...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fence0407
    Options
    @Cymbaline65 - some of the best food I've ever eaten was in Albuquerque. I swear I gain 15 lbs every time I go visit!
    Cumming, GA  

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

Only 15lbs??? :((

As I travel extensively for work, I make sure I eat well. I research the city, find the good spots and hunker down. That's to my detriment as weight management is a constant struggle....

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fence0407
    Options

Only 15lbs??? :((

As I travel extensively for work, I make sure I eat well. I research the city, find the good spots and hunker down. That's to my detriment as weight management is a constant struggle....

:)) - my metabolism helps still. If I traveled more, I would do the same thing you do!  
    Cumming, GA