Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber converts to Egg?

Options
So my brother in law has been in town for a couple if days. I did some ribs and steak. He says they were very good, I don't think he's blowing smoke at me. He says he'd love to have an egg or else he is also considering a weber around $1400.00. I'm just wondering if there are any Weber converts to the egg that could list some pros/cons either way. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What Weber costs $1400?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    We were cooking wings a couple of weeks ago. I only have a medium. There were about 50 wings and SWMBO insisted on doing the overflow on the gasser. Same preps (3 different, from a$$-ripping spicy for her, Old Bay, she's from Md. and some home made rub on the rest.
    We had a taste test comparison and everyone agreed the depth of flavor from the egg was far better and the gasser's were bland.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Well I smoked ribs and butts with a performer for a while. Every hour you gotta throw on charcoal and wood chips while spraying down the meat. No more babysitting the grill with an egg.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    The only weber close to 1400 is the ranch kettle
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

For $1400 I would assume he is considering a Summit gas grill.  I bought a Summit S-620 for just over half price ($800+) years ago and since I added Eggs it hardly ever gets used to cook food as I just don't find it produces the kind of flavor that cooking over lump in an Egg does.  Some folks use a gasser for quick cooks but since I typically cook for two I can get my Mini up and cooking in about the same time as the gasser and with better tasting results. 

Pros on the Summit?  It has decent storage space, has a good side burner (that I do use fairly often), can be used as a warmer, works well for seasoning woks and cast iron, and if I'm in the mood to rotisserie something I can do that. 

What does he cook on today?  If he's set on having a gasser, I'd advise him to put that $1400 towards a LBGE, some Eggcessories, and pick up a decent condition used Weber with a side burner from craigslist.  He could have the best of both worlds and not spend big $s on a fancy gasser that he probably wouldn't use much.

My buddy likes to remind me that I have an $800 side burner.  X( I should really sell my Summit and put the $s towards my goal of an outdoor kitchen.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    He has to be talking about a gas grill for $1400, They are great gas grills and so are there charcoal grills, there just not a BGE. I have cooked a lot of wonderful meals on both my webers and With that being said I have not used either since I got my XL BGE two years ago.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have 5 eggs at my house, 8 webers, and one bubba keg. To me the eggs are not superior, and neither are the webers. I use my 26.75" kettle all the time. I love the thing, it helps me see why the slightly bigger xxl would be fun to cook on. Personally to me, the webers cook chicken better than the egg (talking charcoal, not gas). But the fun factor and efficiency of the egg is awesome. I loved using the mini today to grill up six sausages for the family. It was quick, tasty, and I swear it actually produced charcoal instead of consuming it.

This isn't an OR situation , it's an AND kind of thing. You need both.
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, very insightful. I will say, he was quite impressed yesterday as I lit the egg for the steaks. I had to leave for about 30 min. and asked if he would just watch the temp as it climbed and keep it around 400 until I returned and then we'd throw it open to sear the steaks. When I returned he thought the grill was struggling to get up to temp as it was stuck at 300...it was actually pegged all the way around....he was very impressed by that! I like the idea of going with a Egg and picking up a cheaper gasser for the quickness factor as that certainly will play apart for him. He is a much better cook than myself so I'd love to see what he could pull off having an Egg to do it all on!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I agree with @cookingdude555 the Weber kettle is nice to have around. I do all my chicken wings on my 22" kettle its just set up easier to sear and then move away from direct heat. I had a genesis gasser and got rid of it. I never used it cause it took just as long to get to sear temps as the egg.‌
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I have a few grills and now only use the BGE and a Weber Genesis 320. If I am doing an indirect on the egg I can use the Weber for crisping up chicken at the end. I could remove the placesetter but I am not a fan of picking up a hot piece of ceramic during a cook.I also like using the side burner on the weber for sauces etc. During the winter months when it gets very cold I pull out the weber. I have bought a smokebox kit for the weber so I can get some smokey flavor in my winter cooks but haven't tried it yet. I think a gasser is a good compliment to the egg.
    Danville, Il
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    +1 on having all the tools available. I love my Weber kettle and gasser and use them often. My Egg is my favorite of them all but sometimes I need more real estate and different temps. My pocket book does not allow for multiple Eggs at the current time so I gotta run with what I have...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    $1,400 Weber :-O
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Edited. Double posted