Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all Brisket Gurus ... Help this Newbie Please

Options
Dear Gurus, Need some advise. Not knowing what I was doing, I bought a piece of meat labeled "Brisket" and brought it home. Then, after I got my egg yesterday (a large demo @ Porkopolis in Cincinnati) and got it set up today I spent some time online watching some brisket kings on You Tube, I now know what I have is a very trimmed (almost no fat) "flat" with no point. So, with no point and very trimmed, it's pretty small ... about 4 pounds. So, by my understanding that will be 5-6 hour slow smoke. My egg was prepped at about 250 and then I threw on the wet apple wood chips, then the plate setter, and then the brisket with rub on it on a rack above a drip pan. With the top vent technically closed (its not air tight) and the bottom vent about 1/4 inch open the dome temp has been in the 220 range for the first 90 minutes then, inexplicably, the dome temp dropped to 200 and I was afraid the flame was dying out so I took the opportunity to open it up, add some dry oak chips and then open up the vents a little. The temp shot up to 230 and I knew it would go higher so I closed the top vent again and put the bottom vent at 1/4 inch. Am I making a mistake closing the top vent? It seems that smoke is coming out the top so it is getting SOME flow. If I open it a little it's hard to keep the dome temp below 250. BTW the probe in the brisket has read 142.1 F for the past 30 minutes (90th through 120th minutes in the smoke) I hope that is ok. What is the internal temp I'm looking for (or should I use some other measure of done-ness? Then, when done, it's my understanding that it needs to be wrapped in foil and then in a towel and then put in a cooler, but for how long?

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Leave the daisy wheel open just a tiny little bit.

You will get used to getting it to settle in at a temp pretty quickly.  You start jacking with the daisy wheel and the bottom vent a little and you can chase temperature all day, just get it settled in and leave it alone.
  • Hoosier_Patriot
    Options
    Thanks Spaightlabs, what about the post smoke "rest" in the tin foil & cooler? How long or what temp?
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Pull out when brisket temp reaches 195. Use double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil and stick it in cooler for a minimum of an hour.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Hoosier_Patriot
    Options
    Thanks fljoemon
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree, daisy wheel slightly open.  don't chase your temp so much, 200 to 250 is prime temp for any low & slow cook.  I have had a time or two where my temp would spike to 275 or better, i couldn't seem to get it down.  I removed the meat, drip pan & platesetter.  I usually have the bowl of water that my chips had been soaking in near by.  I just used my hand to splash some of the water over the coals to bring the temp down some.  Then you adjust fire from there.  When I'm choosing a market cut brisket, I try to pick out the thickest, largest & a large fat cap, you can always trim the fat down to 1/4 inch.  Good luck on your next brisket.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try to cook till its tender. The Travis Method is great for a small flat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN