Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water in the thermo

Options
Got a new thermometer. First cook was ribs on the Fourth of July. Rain shower in the middle of the cook left water inside the thermometer. I have left the thermometer in a plastic bag with rice to try to dry it out. It still has some moisture inside. Any suggestions on how to get it dried out?
Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    It happens.  Drill a pin hole at the bottom (6 o'clock) position should do the trick.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    It happens.  Drill a pin hole at the bottom (6 o'clock) position should do the trick.  
    I agree and once the water is out let it bake in the sun for a few hours and then put a dab of clear silicone in that hole to block it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

I agree and once the water is out let it bake in the sun for a few hours and then put a dab of clear silicone in that hole to block it.

But then the next time it rains, it'll just fill up again. Leave the hole open so the water can evaporate.

Or do what I did... Drop it on the pavement and break the glass. Haven't used it since I pulled the broken shards out. Dunno if rain will affect it or not. Or how long it will be before i bump the needle and ruin it. But I DO know it won't steam up on me. LOL

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    I dropped mine before my first cook and cracked the glass... I check the calibrate every few cooks and it is working good

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The old one has a haze on the inside of the glass - maybe I'll remove the glass from that one to use for the rainy season. Save the new one for the dry season.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.