Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Predicting 100% chance of L&S

Options
Weather guessers had listed 40% precipitation. So far it's been 100% since about 6 pm yesterday. My Son & I just set up the popup. Returning from egg demo saw that my driveway from the road to our automated cattle gate has several washouts (heavy duty slagway with sealer). Will be doing a L&S bone in Boston Butt. Stay tuned for updates and pics. imageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• stevethegreat
    Options
    I don't miss hurricane season while I was living in Florida... but now I have winter :(

Looks like you are pretty prepared though. Have your tent weighted or staked? Looking forward to more pics.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Send some this way. It's hotter than hell here and my water bill is approaching power bill levels. :-t
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SkinFan
    SkinFan Posts: 9
    Options
    That looks like a good ol' fashioned southern Arizona monsoon storm you got goin' there ..... looking forward to pics of the cook. Stay dry. 
    LBGE & SBGE 

Newnan, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stevethegreat‌ I'll take the rain, humidity, heat and possibility of hurricane or TS over NE winter and tornado. This is the first time we've used this tent (old one we purchased at a yard sale finally kicked the bucket after many years of beach use). We anchored down with several bungees. The close to 2,000 sqft addition we did about 7 years ago was engineered by a guy out of Ponte Veers Beach. He engineered even the uncovered deck, lanai and my Mothers home addition to a CAT4 standard (even though we are 50 mi inland I wanted to go overkill on that part).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Very cool. Sounds like you are uber prepared, house on stilts too? :P I would agree that I would rather deal with some rain during a cook then a snowstorm. C'est la vie.
    Steve
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Send some this way. It's hotter than hell here and my water bill is approaching power bill levels. :-t

Brotha this year has been Tropical. When I first got to FL in 92 it would rain crazy at about 4 or 5 daily this time of year. We're back to that and then some. The humidity and heat by late afternoon has created its own weather systems. It's insane. Lots of lightning. Just saw 2 separate strikes of lightning take out a tree or two on the backside of our property. We had a severe drought in 98 so I feel ya. I love it out here. It does get crazy hot & humid. But, MOST of the year we're seeing 70s & 80s.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

Very cool. Sounds like you are uber prepared, house on stilts too? :P I would agree that I would rather deal with some rain during a cook then a snowstorm. C'est la vie.

The existing home was built on a concrete slab on grade. Our land/property has a pretty crazy slope/grade (natural) that slopes toward the small creek in the very back in the wetland part of our property. The 1,000 sqft part we built for Mom was put above grade on solid concrete pillars with a solid concrete stemwall. Then 1,000 sqft screened in lanai is also on solid concrete pillars and the uncovered deck with solid concrete pillars. All with CAT4 standards. It was a huge project. Aerial view it looks like one footprint. It is essentially 2 homes. We love it. :)

Satellite view. Next time they update the system my egg should be visible
    ;)image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    That's a pretty cool shot. I'm off to go look at google satellite to see if my eggs show up.
    Steve
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @stevethegreat‌ that shot is actually off my local news weather app. Not Google earth or such.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    It says google in the bottom left corner.. I'm guessing they use their maps. Could be wrong though. And no my house photo hasn't been updated in a while
    Steve
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @stevethegreat‌ Never even noticed that. Good eye. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Very impressive.  Wherever we go on this planet, their is always weather
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I made a quick meal for MaMa. Chicken cutlets w/ pineapple and yellow bell pepper slices.
    imageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    So diggin the chicken. Gonna have to put that in the cookin arsenal.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    9# Bone in Butt:
    Lit fire...running WGWW w/ hickory & sugar maple chunks.

Injected butt w/ apple juice. Rubbed with Bad Byrons Butt Rub.
    Wrapped PS in foil and got up close to temp. imageimage
    Setup Stoker and Stoker Log. Put butt on along w/ 3 mild sausages for me as a lil treat.
    Running target pit for 235℉ for now with a target food temp of 202℉
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

So diggin the chicken. Gonna have to put that in the cookin arsenal.

She likes it. Didn't do plated pics as she was tired and ready to eat pronto. But, served this w/ a half of avocado.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    "Estimated" butt completion is 3 or 4pm Sunday afternoon.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Late joining in, when do you expect those dogs to finish?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @nphuskerfl - was the chicken on the egg? Why the foil??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌ bout an 1 hr. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    And now I see they are sausages, not dogs. Glad they don't have a breathalyzer on the forum.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ yep chicken was on the LBGE Foiled because there's a boatload of smoke and didn't want it to overpower the chicken. Which it still ended up pretty smoky per my lovely wife. But, she said it was good as well so I figure that's a + B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    DMW said:

And now I see they are sausages, not dogs. Glad they don't have a breathalyzer on the forum.

Yep fresh Publix mild sausage. I also picked up a case of Yuengling and a build your own 6pk. I'm in pretty good myself. Today has been a trying day. My wife lost her Father this morning so we are trying to figure out details etc. I'll be up for awhile. :-(
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Dude, that is rough. I remember a bit over 5 years ago SWMBO lost her mom. She was there with her in Nor Cali and I was back in PA with our 2 littles at the time. We flew out when arrangements were made. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife's family right now. Not an easy thing for sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW‌ oops shouldn't have put on here I guess. Ya it sucks! We're in FL and he in CO. So, I'm guessing we'll need to setup travel arrangements etc and it's doubly hard because this is the busiest part of the month for my wife at work so she is freaaaaaking. I found out at the egg demo thus why I rushed home. Ok. Back to cooking. Thanks for your kind words.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    The food looks excellent thus far my friend. Bring it on home sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    PaPa's treat. @DMW‌ they're done ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    I will take 4 my friend!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Gonna chill out before I crash.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    One more before hitting the sack. Buenos tardes Amigos.
    Clint Eastwood & Ray Charles: Beers to you: http://youtu.be/DqzrHG8eEVc
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014