Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flying Solo This Weekend - A Man and His Egg

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035

Family is in NYC with in-laws (darn honey, I have to work....) so I am flying solo. There will be fishing, hiking, napping, Netflix, and Eggin.

Friday night was pizza, far and away my favorite food.

While egg warming up I roasted off some Portobello mushrooms in oil, vinegar, garlic.

Removed and sliced mushrooms for pizza, and added sliced shallot and sun dried tomatos to leftover juicesl in the roasting pan. I used this mixture as base of pie instead of tomato sauce. I recently saw a show about a place in Jersey that drizzles the tomato sauce on top of cheese, and I have been building pies this way since the show.

Rest of ingredients are hot Italian sausage and cheese mix of fontina/smoked gouda/asaigo. I am also a big believer in using raw sausage on pizza, it tastes so much better freshly baked along with the pie, imho.

The pie hitting the Egg. I used Publix dough, too lazy to make my own at the end of a long week. I find the store bought dough works best baked at a lower temp, so I ran the egg at 450.

baked 8-10 minutes, turning several times. I tell myself it browns more evenly, but hell I really just enjoy playing with my food so I turn it a lot.

It was crazy good. I rarely use the Egg for pizza, as the oven produces an excellent product. But the slightly smoky flavor from the charcoal put this pie over the top. My neighbor (and good friend) was around so I gave him a couple of slices, he told me it made him chubby....

Tonight's meal is still up in the air. Wings, caveman steak, hell even another round of pizza is possible.

And yes, I posted this early Saturday morning because I was too buzzed to type last night :):)

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice. Pizza, and last night's condition.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Fantastic looking Pizza.. I also enjoy just having a freewheeling weekend now and then..Enjoy all the food decisions. Have a great weekend
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Excellent job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'm jealous-as I head off to day 3 of the girls city swim meet :((
    Greensboro, NC
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    Options
    fantastic looking pizza, gonna try that base with sauce drizzled on top. enjoy the weekend!
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Most eggcellent.  Enjoy the remainder of your "Get out of Jail Free" weekend.  Sounds like the pace is perfect.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    TTC said:

Family is in NYC with in-laws (darn honey, I have to work....) so I am flying solo. There will be fishing, hiking, napping, Netflix, and Eggin.

Which of these is work?  :^o
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TTC‌ I also use Publix dough but have always done it at high heat. I'll have to try at 450 and see the difference. Also, I usually cook my sausage prior to putting it on the pie (which adds 10 mins to the process). You find it cooks okay raw?

Enjoy your weekend. Sorry you have to "work"!
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

@TOTN, technically I do fly out very early Monday on a work trip before they get home. But I am certainly milking this for all it's worth.

@SpartanPride, I read a Cooks Illustrated article about pizza dough and the crux of the article was that only the Italian 00 flours have the protein structure to withstand inferno temps. Everything else, including store bought dough, does better in the 425-450 range.

Finally, on the sausage, I pinch off marble size dollops of sausage and they cook completely through. Try it and see if you like it.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options
    @TCC‌ I tried the sausage yesterday and it turned out awesome. Great suggestion. I still prefer the higher temps on pizza but I'll carry on the sausage addition!